In Edit mode, no longer able to leave blank space between numbers.

Vickie Louwet August 22, 2017

2 weeks ago when I went in to edit a document with a number sequence, I was able to add new steps while keeping a space between each one like this:

1. Step 1

2. Step 2

3. Step 3

4. Step 4

To do this I would press enter, and backspace to get rid of the number.

Now when I go into edit mode and press backspace, it does not create a blank line, it brings be back to the line before. I am not able to leave a blank space in edit mode (when creating the document for the first time I am able to).

It ends up looking like this, with step 5 right after step 4:

1. Step 1
  2. Step 2

3. Step 3

4. Step 4
  5. Step 5

If I take all the data on the page and paste it to a new blank sheet, I can now add blank lines again between the numbers.

This has only started happening since the most recent update, is anyone aware of what I can do to fix it?

It's driving me a bit crazy! Thank you very much in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2017

Hi Vickie,

It may be a bug with the newer version of Confluence. However, there is a workaround you can use. Instead of pressing enter and using backspace to get rid of the number, when you get to the end of the line, press Shift+Enter, which will create a line with no number, and press Enter again to create the next numbered line. I just gave it a test and this worked OK.

Vickie Louwet August 23, 2017

THANK YOU!!! Tried it and worked for me as well. You have saved my sanity :) I really hope they fix this bug, but at least now (thanks to you) I have a workaround.

Bill Langton October 24, 2017

@Vickie LouwetDid you file a bug?  I'm seeing this behavior as well, but not limited to just the number list items.  ALL blank lines are being removed.  Really annoying.  My workaround was same as Stephens.  I was just coming in to file a bug....

Bill Langton October 24, 2017

I figured out that, in my case, the problem was cause by pasting from an email.  The Confluence editor behaves differently in the presence of <div> tags.   Shift-Enter adds a <br> which is not removed.   Guessing that the editor is not adding a <p> tag when pressing Enter.  Filed a bug.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events