In Confiforms, is there a possible lag waiting for a Jira IFTTT?

fbunting January 13, 2022

I have a Confiforms form that uses an IFTTT (onModify) that creates a Jira ticket, and then a second IFTT saves the result. On Save, the first IFTTT fires when the user has checked a RequestReview checkbox field, and then the second IFTTT fires and stores the return value (the returned Jira ticket object) in a field (JiraLink).

Both of these IFTTTs check the value of this RequestReview checkbox, and the JiraLink field. If the JiraLink field is already populated, then they do not fire. This usually works well.

However, sometimes this fails -- the form correctly creates the Jira ticket, but fails to save the return value in the JiraLink field.  So the next time the user edits, it creates a new Jira ticket. This can happen over and over, resulting in what appears (to the user) to be duplicate tickets.

My question, is there some known reason this might happen?  

I have been unable to reproduce this when I point the form to a second (Staging) instance of Jira. My theory is that our Production Jira service is not responding quickly enough, and so the first IFTTT has launched the Jira-Create call, but before it completes, the second IFTTT fires and saves a (blank) return value. Is this a possibility?  Anything else to look for? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Do you know what is the response coming from Jira? Any errors?

I think ConfiForms is set to wait for response for 30 seconds - does it take longer for your Jira to answer? Meaning that to create a ticket in Jira you need to wait for 30+ seconds!? 

fbunting January 18, 2022

I don't think it ever takes that long (30 seconds).

However, I think I found my problem, completely unrelated to Jira lag.  Namely, the field for storing the Jira Issue return value, was restricted to form admins. That is why it was working for me, but not for other people.  

My bad, I should have checked that first.

But good info about the 30-second timeout.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2022

Yes, restricted fields cannot be edited by user who have no permissions to edit them. That's the reason of restricting them ;-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events