Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving pages in a knowledgebase

David Stokes August 30, 2013

Hi

I've got a knowledgebase set up in Confluence that helpdesk staff can use to find answers to questions from users calling the helpdesk. We want some way to identify pages in the knowledgebase that need further work to improve the information so that it's more likely that the helpdesk staff will be able to find the information they require.

What we are wanting to know is for each of the calls that the helpdesk staff member takes whether the page in the knowledgebase does or doesn't answer the question.

As an example, we've got a page that includes information about parking facilities. So if the helpdesk person gets a call regarding parking, they'll go to that page to find the answer to the question. In some instances, it may have the information being requested, but in other instance, the information may not be there.

I've tried the functionality that allows end users to vote on specific pages or using the Content Survey and Reporting add-on to get feedback from the individual users. However, this functionality is based on the assumption that end users are accessing the knowledgebase and voting on pages. The key point is that they only allow a user to vote once on a page - once they have voted, they can't vote again. But in the situation I've got where it's not individual users but a number of helpdesk staff. We would need to allow the helpdesk staff to vote multiple times on the same pages.

I'd appreciate any thought's from the Atlassian community.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
David

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Stokes September 8, 2013

OK - this is where I've got to:

• I tried out Adaptavist's Survey plugin and it seems it would do the job. But each page in the knowledgebase would have to have it's own survey associated with it, ie: lots of surveys.
  • Then I stumbled accross the JIRA Issue Collector (the reason why I didn't know much about it is that it's not possible to to use it with Confluence OnDemand which is what I normally use.) For those of you who haven't used it, it allows you to have a button in JIRA or on a Confluence page that allows you to create a JIRA issue to collect information, in this case, getting feedback from the user.

Dear Atlassian

It would be very much appreciated if you could have someway to have an Issue Collector appear on a Confuence page in Confluence OnDemand. I know that it's due to some security issues, but given they are both your products, it would be good if you had some way to achieve this.

Thanks

David

0 votes
Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013
We had a similar problem with our documentation hosted in Confluence. We don't let our customers modify our docs. Instead, when someone reports an issue where the information they are looking for is missing or incorrect, we just add it as a comment. Our tech writer is a watcher on all pages, so he sees the comments and makes the appropriate fixes. Note that in our system, comments aren't visible to non-company users. We originally thought about adding a label like 'needs-fix' to make it easier to search for pages, but the watch feature turned out to be sufficient.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events