Impossible to type non-emojis?

admin May 24, 2020

With the new editor, it appears to be impossible to type series of characters that Confluence wants to change into emojis, at least on macOS. Try typing B) and confluence helpfully assumes that I want a smiley face with sunglasses instead of a continuation of my A) from the line before it.

I've read the documentation here https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/keyboard-shortcuts-markdown-and-autocomplete/#Keyboardshortcuts,markdown,andautocomplete-neweditor

I have tried Esc, cmd+z, ctrl+z, delete, clicking away. None of them make the emoji revert to actual text.

I have checked Profile Photo > Settings > Editor.  All the options to disable autocomplete are greyed out and disabled.

The only thing I've found to work is copy-pasting the string I want to type into the editor.

Is there ANY way to disable this? Is there ANY shortcut to cancel the auto-replace?

2 answers

0 votes
Robin Green May 27, 2021

I agree that this is undesirable behavior.

Best: Show emojis as hints we can pick if we want them. (In an issue tracking system emojis are rarely useful)

OK: Give us some way to escape or Ctrl+Z out of the emoji

Worst: Jira today!

0 votes
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2020

Hi @dougw ,

It looks like a bug... What you can do is using a small letter (so you have to type b) ). Another option is using space between letter B and bracket ), and after typing the bracket removing the space.

I have checked Profile Photo > Settings > Editor. All the options to disable autocomplete are greyed out and disabled.

Please check it once again. Did you click Edit button below the options to make any changes and select checkboxes? I selected these checkboxes but I don't see any changes on the page. Still B) is replacing on sunglasses emoji.

Which browser do you use?

Best regards,

Sophie

admin May 25, 2020

Ah okay well that solves the mystery of those settings. I assumed that button was to submit the changes but you are correct, it enables them.

That said, yeah those settings do not appear to actually change emoji auto-replace behavior so this still doesn't solve the problem.

I appreciate the ideas, but of course typing something I don't want just to avoid an emoji isn't really a solution.  In my example, yes, maybe I'm able to use lowercase letters or maybe not.  There are lots of cases where it's not possible.

Ex. How would I cite this legal document? (18 U.S.C. § 8)

I am on macOS Catalina using Chrome.

Best

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events