Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing whole folders in Confluence

DM October 26, 2014

Hello, my question is if it's possible to import a whole folder (with sub folders and word documents / pdfs as example) in Confluence? Maybe it's possible via a plug in but i haven't found anything usefull till now.

Thank you

5 answers

3 votes
J D
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2014

Hey Daniel,

Here is a Plugin in for Confluence, but just for version 4.0 - 4.0.5.

Which version do you have?

DM October 26, 2014

Thanks JD for your answer but I've installed the newest version 5.6.4. Is there any other possible way?

J D
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2014

I think the fastest way is to drag and drop it in the attachement section. Did you solved your problem

DM November 3, 2014

Yes, already solved it days ago. Thanks anyway!

2 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2014

The attachments section is not organized by folder. The only way to keep the structure would be to zip the folders and upload the zip file.

Deleted user October 29, 2014

how do you upload a zip file? You mean from the Create>/File list option?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2014

Ok, just to make sure we're on the same page. Do you want said folder to be attached to an existing page, or are you trying to create pages from a folder full of documents?

Deleted user November 3, 2014

I'm trying to use Confluence as a Technical Writing tools and want to bring our current existing manual. The Attachment option only attaches (as the name says!) but that is not what I want. I used Tools>Import Word Document to bring in the files. But still interested to know a better/faster way to bring the whole manual.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2014

Ah, so you want to create real pages from the documents. Well, there are some ways to do it, but not without some technical expertise. Also, depending upon how big the manual is it might be faster to create the pages manually rather than doing the import and validation cycle multiple times till you get a good import. If you want to do it the more technical way check out the Universal Wiki Converter. This would require that the pages being imported be in a text format ... so not .pdf, or .doc. There are converters out there that can convert Word and PDF to mediawiki format and then you could use the UWC to then import the converted files as it has a template for mediawiki already. -- Universal Wiki Converter -- https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.uwc

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2014

Another option is to just attach the .doc and .pdf files to individual pages and use the Word and PDF macros to display the attached .doc and .pdf files respectively. Then over time just convert them to real pages as you have time ... which realistically speaking probably means never. :)

Gregory Levine March 29, 2018

Davin -

If I understand your comment from Nov 3 2014, sounds like, if a user is dealing with multiple PDF's (e.g, in the hundreds or even thousands)....the best to create that as Confluence content would manually or through something like the Universal Wiki Converter. 

Does that opinion still hold true in 2018?

Many thanks.

Greg

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2018

I do not believe the UWC works anymore. I do not know of any easy methods for this now. It would probably require programming.

1 vote
Katie Maynard November 3, 2014

I like the suggestions being offered, Daniel, can you share how you resolved the question? I would like to know what you did. Thanks.

DM November 3, 2014

Hi Katie, to solve the problem I used WebDAV. It's already installed with confluence you just need to activate it.

Katie Maynard November 4, 2014

Thank you Daniel. I appreciate you getting back to me.

Nicolae Marasoiu August 8, 2019

Can you detail how it works please? Thanks

1 vote
J D
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2014

Go on the Page you want to upload your folders > Tools > Attachments

There should be a Drag&Drop field, you can put all your stuff in here and its uploading it.

You can add the Makro Attachments to your page too, it can be allowed to have a  drag&drop field too.

Chris Kuijpers August 18, 2016

no you cant upload a folder tree by doing this... 

Only files

0 votes
Damien CRE January 26, 2017

So, there is no way to import doc files from a folder ? Only text files can be imported this way ?

Cause we have lots of docs files containing images we would like to import and we can not transform to text files first because of those images...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events