Importing a word document to a page (doc, docx) gives error "Invalid file type. Only word documents Edited

Hello!

This is rather self-explanatory, but basically, on confluence when I try to import a Word document to a page I get the error "Invalid file type. Only word documents are supported.". I was trying to upload a .docx. Saving as .doc still doesn't get me past this error.

I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong?

err1.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

It looks like I found my answer.

The original docx I had really wouldn't import. However, I was converting to .doc using libreoffice, and apparently they do things a little different. Using Microsoft Office to convert to doc worked for me. 

Now I have to solve the problem of the actual import being depressingly lacking, but that's another issue.

Thanks!

Ahh, I was halfway there.  The doc was in the wrong format, but not caused by Confluence bugs or Word doing odd things!

0 vote

It usually means the file is in a Word based format that Confluence does not understand.  You tried "saving it as a .doc", but was that .doc format one of the older ones?

Hi Nic,

Yes, it was the 97-2003 format. I also tried the XML doc format.

Does it work with other documents?  Something simple saved as a word 2003 format maybe?

Nic, 

Thank you for your help. I ended up finding the solution on my own.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Friday in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

253 views 11 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you