Importing Word docs - gets stuck at 99%

Jarod Carruthers January 20, 2022

I have been able to import about 40 Word Documents (DOCX) into Confluence but now I consistently fail at 99%.

I am now presented with this message when I click the Word document (.docx) button:

confluence message.jpg

The the progress bar appears...looks like it is moving at a good pace but then slows down at around 70% or so and never gets to 100%.

I have tried from different PC's...one in my onsite office and one from home on a gigabit internet connection.

I did do a search to see if someone has had this issue before, but couldnt find anyone else with the same issue. I am new to Confluence.

Does anyone know what could be causing these issues?

Thanks,

Jarod

7 answers

1 vote
Vangelis January 24, 2022

I am also facing the same issue (tested Firefox and Chrome latest versions) - errors on Chrome

Screenshot 2022-01-24 182147.jpg

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2022

Hello Everyone,

We don't have any global issues reported regarding the upload of Docs to Confluence, so we would like to get some information to better understand the issue that is affecting you:

1. Is the same issue happening on multiple browsers? Can you try Firefox, Chrome, or Safari and see if the same "99% blocker" happens for at least two of them?
  2. Are there any errors returned on your browser Javascript console when reproducing the issue?
  3. @matteogalli you mentioned that any type of doc is causing the issue. Anyway, would you be able to share on a public link any doc (Not containing confidential information) so we can test it on our side? We just want to ensure we do exactly the same steps to reproduce the issue on our side
  4. Is anyone using a site on Standard plan that is facing the same problem?

Thanks!

Charles LeMay January 21, 2022

Thanks for checking into it!

I'm getting the same issue in Chrome, Firefox, and MS Edge.  It happens whether I try to upload my document, import via Google, or via OneDrive. I tried an alternative Word doc I produced and got the same result.

I did get some errors, yes. I attached screengrabs from my Chrome and FF browsers.

Cheers!

CH.pngFF.pngCF.png

0 votes
Doug Matthews January 26, 2022

Same issue with a Mac on Chrome - neither a Word document nor a Google Doc reach completion, the import just hangs at 99%. 

0 votes
Charles LeMay January 25, 2022

Hey all,

I just gained success by running a document inspection and removing everything it suggested. Specifically, I think I was having issues with my header and footer.

File > Info > Check for Issues > Inspect Document, then press Inspect.  Follow the suggested prompts and then try to import as a Word doc into your Confluence page. Maybe that will work for you, too.

Charles

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2022

Ah, well you should ALWAYS clean a Word doc before importing:

• Delete title page
  • Delete ToC
  • Delete headers and footers
  • Apply standard formats for headings.

Doing less than that results in issues and lots of clean up later.

Vangelis January 25, 2022

I wish it worked, that would saved me significant time. I used the inspector cleaned up everything but no luck. I even created a deadly simple Word document with a single paragraph (Lorem Ipsum) - Sorry no luck again!

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2022

When you import, are you splitting on headings? If so, are you trying to create a page in space or page tree with restrictions? In other words, when you import, you create pages. Those pages inherit permissions from the parent page. If you do not have rights to restrict pages, then you will hit this issue on import.

A quick test is to ask an admin to perform the same import for you to see if they have the same issue.

matteogalli January 20, 2022

We are using a free version for evaluating purpose. As far as I understand we cannot have restrictions on pages or sub-pages therefore I don't think we fit into this case. Yet we are experiencing the same issue.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2022

Is it happening with ALL Word files now? Or just certain Word docs always break?

all of them

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2022

Then I guess the issue that @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  linked CONFCLOUD-58350 is the culprit.

One of the main drawbacks with the Cloud version, you have zero control over the system configuration. Atlassian roles out an update that breaks your workflow, you are stuck until they fix it.

I assume you have filed a support ticket? And be sure to vote for the issue.

0 votes

I'm also experiencing the same issue from a Mac using Chrome and trying to import both a Google doc and the same document as as docx but the end result doesn't change.

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2022

Hi @Jarod Carruthers 

Could it be linked to CONFCLOUD-58350 perhaps, which impacts Windows machines?

It might also be useful to provide us the steps you're taking to upload the file, so we can see which process you're utilising within the platform.

Finally, is it happening just for yourself? Or others within your organisation?

Alternatively, I'd suggest just contacting https://support.atlassian.com/ - it feels like quite a niche issue which might be platform-specific. It's not something I've specifically seen before.

Ste

Charles LeMay January 20, 2022

Hi! @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ @ I am having the same issue as @Jarod Carruthers 

My steps to upload are: navigate to my organization's page, press "c" to create a new page, then select the option to import on the right-hand side. 

I've tried the three options available - importing a Word doc, importing from OneDrive, and importing a Google Doc. All have the same result. I've let it sit for up to 30 min, but there is no change.

I am on my free trial, so I can't contact support directly to ask Atlassian :/

Thanks!

Charles

CF 2.png

Ina Jain January 20, 2022

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ : I am also facing the same issue. Upload stuck at 99%. I am using mac machine. I tried to logout and sign in again. The issue persists. I am also using free trial accounts for my experiments. 

Like # people like this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2022

Hi All,

I'll pass this on to the support team, just in case it's a wider issue given a few users are experiencing problems :)

Ste

Jarod Carruthers January 20, 2022

Hi Stephen,

Much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Jarod

Charles LeMay January 21, 2022

Yep, thanks @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ !

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD