Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Word doc - images are not imported

Larry Bear April 18, 2012

I'm importing Word documents with images, but the images are being imported. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Cheers,

Larry

4 answers

0 votes
henrik holck johannessen October 7, 2015

So..

I have the same problem: Dragging and dropping a word file will not include the images in the document. Why is this? Is there a workaround? docx to doc and vice versa doesn't do the trick. Extremely disappointing as we're migrating our how-to base from word to confluence, and all that is basically imagedriven..

Tamara Coulter November 18, 2015

Hi Henrik, I am in the process of doing the same thing. It appears that the old work around mentioned above still works. I'm not dragging and dropping though, I'm using the Word Doc macro to import the content of my word docs. Create a new doc in confluence, then "attach" the file you want to import to the file, then use the insert button and "Other Macros" option. Select the Work Macro. If you are importing files with a .docx extension, rename them to .doc and then import. My images came across in my test import once I did this.

0 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2012

Hi Larry,

I agree with what was said before:
When you import a word file the included images are automatically imported as well. I don't know of any specific settings that are needed.

So most probably there must be something wrong with your images. You should have a look at them and make sure that

• the images are in a web compliant format (jpg, gif, png)
  • the colour code is RGB and not CMYK
  • you don't have the same image more than once in your original word file (because two images of the same name could cause a name conflict)
  • you didn't make any fancy adaptions to the images in the word file
  • the images are not extraordinarily huge

If I were you I would start with a very simple word file. Include just one image. Create this image yourself in an image programm where you have control over this typical settings and then see what happens.

Good luck!

I have found a solution, but there is a bug here. Instead of importing a docx file, I changed it to .doc - and now it works!

Thanks all for your help. If any of you experience the same with docx, I suppose it should be added as a bug.

Larry

Mick Davidson June 12, 2012

I've just found this thread and have done this myself just now and it does work.

We've just upgraded to 4.2 and as far as I was aware we didn't have a problem uploading .docx before that. In fact I'd uploaded several .docx files without a problem.

cheers.

0 votes
Joerg Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2012

Hi Larry,

I currently use the importfunction intensively (on Conf 3.5.4) and the images get imported most of the time. Some EMF images do not work at all. Most Windows Objects, Images, scaled down > 100% are trashy and PNG / JPG seem to work best, but are difficult wit the Word Clipboard. (Best way to do it - display it in Word, Screenshot with a 3rdpartytool, cut, save and reinsert.)

Finally - Images referenced on multiple wikipages are uploaded to th first, but the ancors are not pointig to the correct location. So searching for the "worddav....." string will tell you where it is.

Is that any of your problems ?

0 votes
Tom Moors
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2012

Hi Larry,

What kind of images do you mean? Is it possible the images that are not being imported are Word drawings?

Normally the embedded bitmap images are by default uploaded and referenced in the wiki page.

Regards,

Tom

This is an embedded image, in this case a png.

Larry

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events