Importing Word doc - images are not imported

I'm importing Word documents with images, but the images are being imported. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Cheers,

Larry

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Larry,

What kind of images do you mean? Is it possible the images that are not being imported are Word drawings?

Normally the embedded bitmap images are by default uploaded and referenced in the wiki page.

Regards,

Tom

This is an embedded image, in this case a png.

Larry

Hi Larry,

I currently use the importfunction intensively (on Conf 3.5.4) and the images get imported most of the time. Some EMF images do not work at all. Most Windows Objects, Images, scaled down > 100% are trashy and PNG / JPG seem to work best, but are difficult wit the Word Clipboard. (Best way to do it - display it in Word, Screenshot with a 3rdpartytool, cut, save and reinsert.)

Finally - Images referenced on multiple wikipages are uploaded to th first, but the ancors are not pointig to the correct location. So searching for the "worddav....." string will tell you where it is.

Is that any of your problems ?

Hi Larry,

I agree with what was said before:
When you import a word file the included images are automatically imported as well. I don't know of any specific settings that are needed.

So most probably there must be something wrong with your images. You should have a look at them and make sure that

• the images are in a web compliant format (jpg, gif, png)
  • the colour code is RGB and not CMYK
  • you don't have the same image more than once in your original word file (because two images of the same name could cause a name conflict)
  • you didn't make any fancy adaptions to the images in the word file
  • the images are not extraordinarily huge

If I were you I would start with a very simple word file. Include just one image. Create this image yourself in an image programm where you have control over this typical settings and then see what happens.

Good luck!

I have found a solution, but there is a bug here. Instead of importing a docx file, I changed it to .doc - and now it works!

Thanks all for your help. If any of you experience the same with docx, I suppose it should be added as a bug.

Larry

I've just found this thread and have done this myself just now and it does work.

We've just upgraded to 4.2 and as far as I was aware we didn't have a problem uploading .docx before that. In fact I'd uploaded several .docx files without a problem.

cheers.

So..

I have the same problem: Dragging and dropping a word file will not include the images in the document. Why is this? Is there a workaround? docx to doc and vice versa doesn't do the trick. Extremely disappointing as we're migrating our how-to base from word to confluence, and all that is basically imagedriven..

Hi Henrik, I am in the process of doing the same thing. It appears that the old work around mentioned above still works. I'm not dragging and dropping though, I'm using the Word Doc macro to import the content of my word docs. Create a new doc in confluence, then "attach" the file you want to import to the file, then use the insert button and "Other Macros" option. Select the Work Macro. If you are importing files with a .docx extension, rename them to .doc and then import. My images came across in my test import once I did this.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

601 views 8 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you