Importing Word Docs as wiki markup

david falvey June 10, 2014

When I import some word documents some of them are imported as a single Wiki markup section and other come in as normal wiki editor text.

What is causing some documents to be convetrred to wiki markup. I dont want them as wiki mark up as it makes them hard to edit again.

any idea why

6 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2014

Hi David,

This is a odd behavior. I would like to know which version of confluence you are running and if this happens in the latest confluence version 5.6.4?

Do you see any error in logs?

Cheers,

Rodrigo

0 votes
Brian December 14, 2020

This is *still, still* going on. Now we're on Confluence 7.4.1 
We have some documentation created in OneNote with some inline screengrabs. 
When tranferring to Confluence, I've tried a lot, but no matter my tricks and stunt I end up with some part of the doc imported as "Wiki Markup" and as others say, it makes editing quite annoying to say the least. 

I've tried bunches of stuff, but decided it should be possible for Atlassian Confluence to accept if I copy all from OneNote, Paste it into Word, and save it from word to an old type .doc 97-2003 Office style file. 
Try to open it again in Word where it looks just as good as in OneNote and the newer version of Word which saved it to a offfice .doc file. 

Then ask Confluence to create a new page sin the relevant Space, import the Word file. 
It looks fine. 
BUT - try and edit in Confluence again - and you reveal that you got nothing right. 
Be it from the start or somewhere dwn the page, you twist the content around as "wiki markup" and point to some worddav:image mumbojumbo 

Is this something you can have your experts look at, before you force everyone to pay double license fees for this expert professional style software ;) 

( If I seem slightly disgrunteld about the last licenserelated fact you threw at us paying customer lately, you're not that much off target, that's right. )  

Steven Schouppe January 20, 2021

Any word on this, Brian?

Brian January 22, 2021

Hi
Not a single beep, no. 

I presume all developers are asked to stand down until their entire customerbase is converted to DataCenter licenses later this year   :P   

0 votes
David September 19, 2018

This is still going on and is very annoying for users. It would be great if this gets resolved in a future release or if someone could point us in the right direction please. 

Thanks.

0 votes
David July 27, 2018

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue on 6.5.1 server. 

Any ideas on how to get around this ? It is just not feasible to ask users not to write their documents a certain way.

Thanks.

0 votes
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2017

I have a similar issue. My Word doc contains some code comment examples in a monospace text:

/*____________________________________________________________________________ |                    |                                                       | | xxxx.xxxx_xxxx |  xxx for an xxx xxx xxxx                    | |____________________|_______________________________________________________| |                                                                            |

However the pipe | characters result in the block being interpreted as a table wiki markup style and this isn't what I want. Is there a way to style the text in Word that will preserve the monospace formatting / plain text?

Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2017

I've tried these techniques as described in the Markdown Syntax Guide but no joy:

- indenting every line by 4 spaces

- using 3 backtick ` quote marks before and after

- using double brackets {{to enclose what should be monospace}} - this does result in a monospaced inline style ONLY IF there is no trailing space before the final brackets, however spaces in the original are collapsed so the table structure isn't preserved

- I also tried enclosing it within a {note} and {info} macro.

I did note that the space and pipe | characters are not in the list of characters that can be escaped with a preceding backslash. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/markdown-syntax-guide-776639995.html

0 votes
david falvey October 29, 2014

we are running confluence 5.4.1 still  and only happens on certain word documents,

can I send you a sample of the word document that cause the problem for you to test,  dont want to post on this site

Nicky Sandhu July 10, 2017

I am having the same problem on confluence 6.2.1. Did you get a resolution to this?

Nicky Sandhu May 7, 2019

I finally found a workaround. just copy from the confluence view of the page and paste into edit mode of that page the content. (remove the wiki markup macro). 

Like leer-anofsinger likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events