Importing A Word Document: How to Convert Square Brackets

When importing a Word document, how can you convert square brackets ([]) literally? That is, not to have it expand as a link? The normal techniques for the editor do not seem to work.

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Rodger,

The standard escape character for Word imports is a back slack: \

I haven't tried it with square brackets, but \[] should render as \[], not as a link.

You'll have to remove the slash in Confluence after you've imported (unless you want to keep it/don't mind it being on the page).

This widget could not be displayed.

Thanks for the reply! I tried that and it has seemingly inconsistent results. The escape ([afda]) below expands, the second one ([asda]) doesn't. It also seems to add carriage returns where it wants to. What am I missing?

EscapeTest.PNG

Hi Rodger,

That's interesting, the first escape character has been ignored, then the escape characters in the H2 section have been treated as a carriage return. I'm not sure why.

I've not had to escape square brackets so I've not investigated their treatment in any great depth.  If you need a definitive answer then in the absence of anyone else commenting here you might be best off asking Atlassian directly.

However, if you just want it to work, you've got the option of doing a global search and replace in your Word document to change a left square bracket to an unused character (e.g. a pipe) and then do a search and replace in Confluence after the import to get the left square bracket back.  It's a bit clunky, but if you're just concerned about being able to get the import done then that would probably be the easiest way.

Thanks for the reply and the workaround.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

361 views 2 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you