Import an exported confluence page from server1>server2 without losing formatting or macros

lwoolf2 October 6, 2020

Hi all, 

I have two Confluence instances hosted in completed different locations. 

I want to be able to write up & format a confluence page on server1 and then put an exact copy of that document on server2. 

I have tried exporting as a word doc and importing but the macros and formatting get lost. I know there are apps that allow you to format the way in which word documents get imported but that only works if there is a standard. We have too many documents and too many formats to create templates.

The only option I can think of (but have not tested) is the confluence source editor plugin. This way we can possibly export (paste into a text document) the source code from the page created on server1 and then copy/paste it into the confluence source editor (confluence page) on server2? 
If there is any alternative to this option please advise, all suggestions appreciated. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

Hi @lwoolf2 , 

I'm assuming you are talking about this app. This would certainly work if you have this app, and all apps that are used in the content you want to copy) on both instances. You are able to create a page, and afterwards copy the source code. 

In your new instance, you would first need to create a new page, edit that and copy the source code to that page. 

If you need to export-import multiple pages/ an entire space, you could also look at the custom XML export and import the pages in the other server that way. 

Hopes this helps! 

- Tessa

lwoolf2 October 7, 2020

You assume correctly Tessa. 

Yeah I thought this would be the way to go (unfortunately) but at least my logic is supported. Thank you very much :)!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

I would keep it simple and try to use the built-in functions.

Go to the page you want to copy over to the other Confluence. 

Go to space tools -> content tools -> pages -> export -> xml -> next -> export tools.  Select the page(s) you want to copy and hit export.  Import that xml into your target system and move the pages it imports to where they are needed.

lwoolf2 October 7, 2020

I would like to keep it simple as well (if optional).

I have exported the page using method:

Server1 > Space Tools > Content Tools > Export Tab > XML > Custom Export > Selected the Page > Exported and Downloaded .ZIP file.

Server 2 > Space Tools > Content Tools > Import Tab 

Now the only option is to import via an import directory. See below quote from the import tab:

"You can use this action to import text files from a directory on the Confluence server.

These text files become pages in Confluence, with the following features:

• The page title is taken from the filename
  • The content is the entire page body

"

Then there is a free text "Import Directory" and options to "Trim File Extension" and/or "Overwrite existing pages" 

In short I do not think this will work as I cannot select the .zip exported file to import. Not to mention by the sounds the statement it's for text files and will most likely lose formatting and macros. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2020

Ah, ok, I've been totally unclear on the import side.  I am sorry.

What I should have explained properly was the first clause in my last sentence.  I'll try again:

• Go to space tools -> content tools -> pages -> export -> xml -> next -> export tools.
  • Select the page(s) you want to copy and hit export.
  • Import that xml into your target system
    • using the admin function for importing a space 
    • This should give you a new space, with identical copies of all the pages you chose to export and you can now
  •  move the pages it imports to where they are needed.

You will need to think about space names if there are clashes, I tend to move or copy the pages I want to transfer into their own space, with a key that is totally different from any in the target system, and then import the whole lot, moving the pages, then killing the new space off.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events