Implement Google Search Bar in Confluence Space

Patrick Voullié April 13, 2018

Hey,

we are new in the Confluence-World. Sorry if this Question is allready answered - we had no results using the Knowledge base. We would like to create a Confluence-Space that is the Home landing Page for every employee. Is it possible to implement a Google Search Bar to our Space? This would really add some every day functionality to our space.

Kind regards and thanks in advance from germany

Patrick

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2018

Do you know User Macros? Here is a small user macro, providing a google search field:

## @param 0:title=Länge des Eingabefeldes|type=enum|enumValues=short-field,medium-field,medium-long-field,long-field,full-width-field|default=long-field

<form action="http://www.google.com/search" class="aui" method="get" name="searchform" target="_blank">
<input autocomplete="on" class="text $param0" name="q" placeholder="Suche in Google" required="required" type="text">
</form>

Save this as a new user macro and put it on your page.  

Thats more than I could have asked for. Thanks a lot Thomas - works fine.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2018

That's great, @Patrick Voullié, you're welcome.

If you think, your question is answered, please accept the answer with the checksign. With such a marker, other users with similar topics can find answered questions more easy.

Viele Grüße aus Hamburg

Like Sascha Schäfers likes this

Thomas I dont want to overextend your helpfullness, but i have an additional question.

Is there a way to use your macro for Googlemaps search? I dont need that fancy solution with an embed map - the simple search bar with an extra tab opening showing the location I was looking for is more than enough.

Viele Grüße nach Hamburg :)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2018

There's a free app for that purpose: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.pkrete.embed-google-map/server/overview

But I haven't tested that app yet.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2018

Thanks Thomas. Unfortunatelly Both Apps do not provide a searchbar.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2018

Hi Patrick, 

you can easily change the action-url in the example to  "http://www.google.de/maps/place" 

But, please read the google guidelines carefully. I remember discussions about licensing google maps in a commercial environment.  

Werner Weber September 2, 2020

Hi Thomas

Thanks for the Macro. As I'm not familiar with coding: Is there a way to use the title of a page as the input for the search bar?

cheers from Switzerland

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2018

Hi Patrick, 

do you have Confluence Cloud or Server? The search functionality and user interface between these two are different, that's why I'm asking.

Hi Thomas,

thank you for your fast reply. We are using Confluence on our Server.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2018

Good. Of course, you have seen then the search field in the title bar. This is the main search functionality of Confluence. If you click in that field, you see your page history and if you type a fulltext search will be executed.

There is also a macro, you can use on your dashboard page. It is called "livesearch" or "Livesuche" in German. This macro can be parametrized, so that is only searching in certain spaces or pages with certain labels etc. 

It looks like that:

image.pngThere are also other apps on the marketplace for Confluence searching, but we don't use any of them:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=confluence&query=search

You have to try.

Thank you Thomas, we will give it a try. Just to clarifiy my question: We want to search the web with Google like we usually do. This is not about searching in our Confluence-Database.

I'am probably looking for something like a Google-Search-Wiget.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2018

Ah, ok, then I have totally misunderstood your question, I'm sorry.

No Problem. :)

I found a few tutorials reffering to "Google Custom Search" - but this is again about searching your webpage content. Still looking for an easy and convenient way to add the standard Google Search Bar to our Space.

Kateryna Novozhylova July 18, 2018

Hello, Patrick!

I've faced the same need to add the Google Search Bar to our spaces on the Confluence server.

I am wondering whether you have found any solution.  It would be extremely helpful if you could share your ideas. Thanks! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events