Impact of Assistance and Access Australian Bill

Thierry De Leeuw August 28, 2019

Hi,

As Atlassian is an australian company, they likely have to comply to Australian laws. One of this law is the Telecommunications and Other Legislation Amendment (Assistance and Access) Bill 2018.

By this the australian companies have to give a way to australian authorities to access, upon authority request, to the information encrypted.

So my question is "What did Atlassian to comply to this legislation, and how, as an European customer, can I ensure there is no backdoor in my setup"?

Thanks

Thierry

1 answer

0 votes
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2019

Don't know if this will satisfactorily answer your concerns, but in a summary from an AMA with Atlassian's Chief Information Security Officer he said:

On Australia’s Assistance and Access Act and what that means for Atlassian customers: The law was written in such a broad fashion that it effects all of the major cloud service providers – it’s not specific to Australian companies, nor companies that have employees that work in Australia. Our policy (both prior to and after the law passed) is very similar to that of all of the other major cloud service providers. We cooperate with law enforcement where we believe requests are lawful, and we will challenge the scope of the request where we believe it is overly broad. That policy is publicly available here.

From https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/AMA-Recap-Data-encryption-careers-in-Security-Australia-s/ba-p/1085585

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events