Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images missing in Blog Entries (in Outlook Email Notification)

Ken McHardie December 20, 2018

From what I've gathered, as Outlook cannot validate Confluence, when users receive a Blog Notification in Outlook email - they don't get to see the images in Outlook (that are obviously stored in Confluence itself). So they see lots of 'missing image' icons.

Is there an easy way around getting Blog Images appearing in the Email Notification?  A plugin or such? I need a simple soluton, or we'll have to accept the way it is.

thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Lucinda Stroud August 13, 2019

This isn't a perfect answer by any means to an issue that Atlassian should have fixed, but I've found that the Mail Page app sends entire page or blog post content, including images.  It does not send file thumbnails very well - those show up as a broken image link - but pictures turn out pretty well.  Here's a preview of a blog post that I used the app to send as an email.

Unfortunately, new blog posts aren't automatically sent upon publication using this method - you have to publish the blog post first, then click the "Send Page" icon and define your recipients.  However, you can select user groups as your recipients rather than needing to add individual users.

Some of the organizations I work with have been excited about this app and others are quite leery since there is not at this time any restriction on who can send a page or what pages can be sent.

*Disclaimer:* I'm in no way affiliated with this app, and I work pretty exclusively with nonprofits that are eligible for community licenses.

mail page demo.png

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2018

Hello Ken,

Using Confluence blog posts can make for great delivery of content. Using the email feature to send out the blog posts extends this delivery even more. There are options to adjust how content on those emails is sent out from Confluence.

There are marketplace place add-on which would allow for simpler supported options to use. We would encourage you to review the Atlassian Marketplace and available add-ons for customizing email template.

If you did want to consider customizing your own email template, then you can find further information at Customizing Email Templates.

Customizing the Confluence email templates is not supported. If you do decide to edit the templates we strongly recommend you use a test instance of Confluence.

Any customizations you make to the Confluence email notification templates will need to be reapplied after upgrading Confluence.

I hope this clarifies your options with adjusting the content of the emails from Confluence.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Jeff Maciorowski April 3, 2019

I really don't think this answered the question at all.  Lots of people have this issue and no one has any answers.  It's a great feature that has horrible execution. Sending Confluence content with missing images really hurts the effectiveness of what can be done here.  Why can no one know how to fix this after years of complaints?

Like # people like this
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2019

I agree with Jeff, the answer doesn't answer this question. We are facing the same issue right now. Investigating it, if I find a solution I will share. :)

Like Johannes likes this
Calvin Lawrence June 4, 2019

Totally agree...surprised that it has taken Atlassian this long to resolve this long-standing issue. This is one of the reasons we're looking for Confluence alternatives.

Like Ian G_ Clark likes this
Mathias N. December 5, 2022

Ok, I just came across this problem in my organisation today by end of 2022.  Google lead me here and I see that this is still an issue after 3 more years. 

Is there any update or does a bug ticket exists already?

Atlassian offers the option to send mails when new blog posts have been created, then please make sure it displays embedded pictures as well.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events