Images are pasting into Confluence inline instead of full sized.

ajw March 6, 2024

In the last 2 weeks I've noticed images (screenshots taken from Greenshot) are pasting into Confluence as inline, very small images, rather than a full sized image. I use this tool extensively for documentation and have not noticed this inline feature - which I have no use for- until this problem started. 

I have read somewhere that starting a new line should default it to full size, but this is almost never working. Occasionally after 10+ attempts it will paste full size.

I am aware that there is an option to click on the inline image and select 'full size', however there is a significant resolution loss in the image when doing so. It's also a needless extra step. 

What is the permanent fix for this? Any way of defaulting to full size, or better yet remove the inline option entirely? 

Many thanks, 

Anthony

2 answers

0 votes
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2024

@ajw Refer to this article for a description of this new feature and all the related comments: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Inline-images-coming-to-you/ba-p/2611260 

ajw March 7, 2024

Hi Barbara, 

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good place for me get updates. 

Cheers.

0 votes
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2024

Hi @ajw 

When you drag and drop an image file, it will go exactly where your cursor is positioned.

So when the cursor is at the end of a line of text, the image lands there.

So just place the cursor wherever you want to put the image.

Turning it around, it helps to slot the image right where you need it instead of the image landing somewhere and wreck the formatting.

Disclaimer: I hate inline graphics :)

ajw March 7, 2024

Hi Kristian, thanks for the response.

Sounds like your solution involves saved image files being dragged from somewhere. I'm using a snipping tool to take screenshots of things and doing a copy straight out of that screenshot into a paste in Confluence. Saving files somewhere (that I don't need other than on the page in Confluence) is an additional step and time.

The copy/paste has worked perfectly for me for the last few years of technical documentation, until recently, when I assume this feature was pushed out or changed.

Additionally, I already am starting the cursor on a new line, which should prompt it to use the fullsize option, but 90%+ of the time it goes with inline. It would at least make sense if it was only doing it at the end of a line of text. 

Cheers

ajw March 7, 2024

I should also add that the bug is not coming consistently. Today for example, it is working as it should (pasting images comes in by default as full sized when not on a line that already has text). Yesterday however, I tried about 20 times to get an image to come in at fullsize without success. I tried the 'original size' option, but there was a noticeable resolution loss. 

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2024

@ajw 

I couldn't replicate the behavior, even with copy/pasting from Snagit (my screenshot tool). 

At this point, I'd get in touch with Atlassian support - do the video grab of a couple of attempts to show what's happening as a proof, they respond quickly, especially over chat.

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2024

@ajw 

HA! I was able to replicate the behavior ... when adding images in a line created by... soft return in lists.

I guess there a condition needs to be added to the flow 'if image inserted after hard or SOFT return, it goes full size by default.

The workaround is to paste/drag to a normal paragraph are and then cut/paste to where it needs to be.

ajw March 10, 2024

Nice one! The particular issue I was having was on hard return, where even multiple new lines have started and there is no text further down in the document. The behaviour is definitely a bit buggy and inconsistent. None of my colleagues have encountered this issue in the wild yet, but were equally confused by the behaviour when I showed them. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events