Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image scale in new editor

Andrey Isaev January 10, 2020

I'm having a problem with embedded images in the new page template. The images are always scaled regardless of the alignment type I use:

• Left- and right-aligned images get scaled down.
  • Center-aligned images get scaled up to fit the viewport width.

As a result, the text on the images is always blurry.

Is there any way to make the image not scale and avoid pixel distortions?

I'm already thinking of moving back to the old template with the copy trick, but maybe I'm missing something.

And I feel that the new editing experience is a general downgrade to the old one. I didn't find any official comment on why is that and why we can't have the old full-functioning template back until the new editor will be in complete state. Is it really that hard to just make it available again to avoid the frustration of customers?

5 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Shawn Connelly May 7, 2020

It's now May 2020, and I (we) haven't seen any improvement to the horrible new editor. This is unacceptable!

I have an important editing job to complete and this new editor is making it near impossible to create my pages in manner that I could do in the past.

It's infuriating that if I paste a small image to the page (150 pixels), left justify it with text wrapping, then ACCIDENTALLY touch the image, it automatically resizes to a larger (Atlassian fixed default smallest size?), the graphics are blurred AND I cannot undo this resize

Who does this? Who releases and forces customers to use their "new and enhanced" product that is actually significantly worth than the old product? Whomever wrote this inept code and the PM that sign-off on this unusable nonsense need to be reprimanded! 

But worse is the fact that Atlassian has done so little to address the hundred's of issues with the new editor, and are still pushing us on to... they seem completely tone-deaf to their customer's needs. 

If you can't do this right, just allow us to return our pages back to the old editor. Take back the new editor, CONSULT your end users about what we actually need, FIX IT, then relaunch in the future!

Okay, I see you made this post on March 13th. Thank you for the assurance that the old editor will live on for now.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-articles/Change-to-your-content-is-in-your-hands/ba-p/1324476

I found that I can promote the legacy editor, but it still lists after the new editor. 

How do I "demote" the new editor so that the older editor is the first selection?

Like Zod likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2020

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for following-up here and for sharing that you were able to find Tiffany's article regarding the availability of the legacy editor template.

In terms of having the legacy editor be the default selection when creating a new page, it may no longer be possible at this time. I recommend that you have your Cloud site admin raise a ticket with the Cloud Support team, and they will be able to confirm that with them.

Thank you, and take care!

Shannon

Zod August 23, 2021

If users have made pages with the New Editor to begin with, how can we take them and revert them to the Legacy Editor?

I don't want any of my users ever creating a page with this awful thing ever again, but we have pages that have been made with it prior to people realizing how bad it is, and I really don't want to have to copy/paste content from those pages into new pages with the Legacy Editor properly engaged. That transferral process would be horrid.

Please tell me I can flip a switch on a page somewhere, and make it a legacy page.

4 votes
Adrien Ragot _Requirement Yogi_ December 6, 2020

Is it really the case that we can't choose the size of images in Confluence Cloud??!?

It is December 2020, I paste an icon in a table in Confluence Cloud and it increases its size to literally 250 x 250 pixels?

Paul Stansberry February 24, 2021

Yup. Still in February 2021 this is the issue. You cannot paste an image of less than 250px without the new editor increasing the size of your image and thus pixelating it to smithereens.

Generally speaking, I don't have an issue with sizing mechanism for the new page, aside from this specific use-case. Like you, I'm trying to build a table with several icon-sized images (16x16 px) and they look like crap. As a result, I'm simply omitting them, but that detracts from the overall usefulness and at-a-glance readability of the page as a whole.

Seems like this would be an easy fix for the Atlassian team. Simply do not scale images that are added/pasted at an original size of less than 250 px. I don't know why that wasn't just part of the initial requirements, but it definitely needs to be fixed before they force everyone to this experience IMO.

V/R
Paul

Like # people like this
2 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Hello Andrey,

Thank you for raising this with us. We have a bug reported below to address the image scaling issue:

In regards to the new editor, we wanted to improve the editing experience across our products so that the experience is the same no matter if you are on Jira or Confluence. This is a gradual rollout, so some features aren't fully implemented yet, or are in the roadmap for the near future. You can have a look at our Confluence Cloud Editor Roadmap to find out which features you can expect in the upcoming future.

For the time being, you won't be able to do all of the same things with the new editor which you can with the old editor. If there is anything else in particular you're having trouble with, make a note of those and send the feedback either via the Confluence site itself, or you can schedule some time with our Product Manager and pass the feedback directly to him.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Andrey Isaev January 17, 2020

Hello Shannon, thank you for the reply.

This bug was created in 2017 and it is unrelated with the new editor, because I can make the images sharp in the original template editor right now.

we wanted to improve the editing experience across our products so that the experience is the same no matter if you are on Jira or Confluence.

For the time being, you won't be able to do all of the same things with the new editor which you can with the old editor

Yes, we know this. Thank you for improving the product, your work is much appreciated. However, my question was: Why do I have to search for a page created with the proper template, copy it and clear its contents instead of just selecting the template when I create a new page?

I understand that the new template will eventually become good, but right now it is not and you took away the proven alternative. As a result we suffer from inconsistency and spend additional resources just because of this change.

Can we just have the old template back in the page creation window until the new editor will be feature complete?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2020

Hello Andrey,

I'm sorry about that; you're right. I'm aware of this issue that I shared with you regarding blurry images, but I am having trouble replicating the exact problem you describe.

If I insert a large image, and try to align it left, it does jump to a smaller size. I can resize the image back to the original size, but I can't really see if there's a difference in quality. Is the jump to the smaller size part of the issue you're experiencing? Would you be able to show me an example of the difference in quality? And if you resize the image back up, is it still blurry?

Regarding the old template editor, I believe that most sites already have the new one completely phased in. You would need to raise a ticket with support if you want us to have a look and see what's possible on your site.

Regards,

Shannon

Andrey Isaev January 24, 2020

Hello Shannon,

I'm using this image - 256x256 checkerboard with a 1 pixel cell size to reproduce this.

Frame 2.png

Below is a comparison of how this image looks like in the new and the old editor.

If you zoom in, you can see that the checkerboard is blurred in the new editor. I found that you can avoid this if you just insert the image and never resize it or change the alignment, but if you want to have it aligned by the left-hand size, you won't be able to revert it back to the original scale, it always scales with the grid instead.

Because of this, if you paste a screenshot with small text size, the font will be distorted, just like the cells on this checkerboard.

image.png

Regarding the old template editor, I believe that most sites already have the new one completely phased in. You would need to raise a ticket with support if you want us to have a look and see what's possible on your site.

What do you mean? I've just created a page on my cloud space with the old template just to show the example.

Andrey Isaev January 24, 2020

I've checked the roadmap:

image.png

And found this ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67554

There is a lot of customers complaining about this in the comments, and I agree with most of them. Given that their voices weren't heard since August and the ticket has a  Suggestion type, even though it's a missing functionality, I'm wasting time here.

I hope that you won't take away the workaround of being able to copy pages created with the old template, or it will completely block us instead of just wasting resources.

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2020

Hi Andrey,

So, the ticket you sent me is related the feature request for the ability to resize images by pixel, instead of the current method, which is by clicking and dragging.

The issue you're running into is related to the existing method to resize an image, so I think it's a different case and should be a bug. I was looking to see if there was an existing bug specifically about the fact that resizing or changing the alignment of an image causes the image quality to be reduced. I want to get all the information I can regarding it, hence asking for the example. So, thank you very much for providing that!

What do you mean? I've just created a page on my cloud space with the old template just to show the example.

Regarding the old editor vs the new editor because you mentioned that we took away the only alternative that worked. I thought you were referring to the old editor, as some customer instances have no ability to use the old editor at all, depending on how recent their Cloud site was created.

I'll create a bug for this later this afternoon, and I'll update here once I've done so.

Thank you again!

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2020

Hi Andrey,

I was just working on replicating this and reporting as a bug, when I ran into another bug where PNG images were blurry when an image was scaled manually:

Can you tell me if for your issue, does it occur only on PNG images, or also JPG, GIF, etc?

As for replicating the issue, I'm having a bit of trouble. Here are the steps I am taking so far:

1. Attach image to page. This image looks closer to the actual image but is still a lot different than what I see on my computer, where the smaller squares are more defined.
  2. If I click on the image, I then am presented with a menu to change the inline alignment. Are you changing the alignment here, or on the full page? If I align this then nothing changes until I manually resize the image, running into the bug above.

You can also send a video of you replicating the behavior, if it's possible, using something like screencast.com or screencast-o-matic.com.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Shannon 

Andrey Isaev January 29, 2020

Hello Shannon,

This is unrelated to the image extension.

The old editor had the option to set the original scale, so the image will always preserve it regardless of the alignment.

In the new editor all images automatically scale according to the grid (unless left untouched).

This is not a problem if you embed photos and artworks, but Confluence is not an Instagram and many use it for Software Requirements Specifications and embed Diagrams, Charts and UI Mockups, which become blurry. 

Your management decided that Confluence is not for software developers but for casuals who mostly embed pictures and photos, so the exact pixel scaling is an unnecessary feature.

That's the main cause, so this is not really a technical bug. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67554 is exactly what I'm talking about.

I've made the screencast anyway just to let you know what we're complaining about:

Image:

Frame.png

Old editor:

http://webmshare.com/play/Vr3VK

New editor:

http://webmshare.com/play/qdX1g

Like Liz D likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2020

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for confirming that; I was able to replicate it on my end but I just wanted to be sure, since your example was the PNG file. 

I'm hoping this is something that we can see in the new editor soon, as I do get a lot of requests for it. 

Take care, and have a pleasant weekend.

Regards,

Shannon

Avinash Sadaphule February 10, 2020

Hi Guys, 

I was facing the same issue [Resize image by pixel on new editor] as mentioned in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67554?_ga=2.152523131.355613856.1581382497-1611138391.1528267187

The workaround I used was copying and old page which had the images that I needed and modifying the text. This is not an ideal user experience, I would have appreciated more if the new editor also has image resizing capabilities.

Regards,

Avinash

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 10, 2020

Thank you for letting us know your workaround, Avinash! I'm really hoping we can see a better resizing capability in the future. 

Shannon

0 votes
Paul Blamire
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 19, 2024

How is this "solved"?

It is impossible to post a pixel for pixel image from my upload or clipboard paste. Since we are trying to show software screen shots or menu picks every image we show is blurred and nasty looking. This is most evident with text.

I just don't see how people can put this out as a product when Atlassian is a company with such resources.

0 votes
Aaron Hamilton October 4, 2022

How do we get off this garbage editor and back to the old one if it's a new page? Is it really that difficult to have an option to NOT scale the image?????

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events