Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If there is lots of notification mails to send, can Confluence send only 20 at a time and wait 15 seconds between two batches?

Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2012

this question is slightly related to the Confluence Archiving Plugin, but the same problem can occur with any type of Confluence email sending, so in that sense it is fairly generic.

the problem: the Archiving Plugin sends emails when detecting outdated content, to all persons who may potentially update or delete it (authors and admins). in popular spaces, it can be a large group of users, which means a lot of emails to be sent out within a short time period.

our users complain that their servers are "flooded" with the amount of emails, and they sometimes loose important notification mails.

i understand that this is basically an infrastructrual problem, well outside the scope of Confluence, but looking for a workaround.

question: is it possible to fine-tune "the batch size" and "sending frequency" of the Confluence mail queue? for example, can I configure it like this: even if you have 73 mails to send, send only 20 at a time and wait 15 seconds between two batches?

2 answers

0 votes
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2012

Is this problem spcifically to do with the Archiving Plugin? Or is the general email complaint about Confluence notifications? (I ask becuase this might be related: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-14485)

Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2012

yes, this is specific to the Archiving Plugin. (a general solution would be handy for all types of notification mails, though.)

0 votes
HuseinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2012

I don't think the number of mails per batch can be easily configured for now. It might require code changes. I might be wrong though. However, the scheduled job (i.e. mailQueueFlushJob) frequency is configurable. The linked page would describe how to configure it for Confluence 3.5.x or higher. If you're using a lower version, you will need to modify schedulingSubsystemContext.xml as described here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events