Icon in navigation tree for restricted pages

Adam Jacobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2012

Hi all,

I'd like to make it easier for users to recognise within the left navigation tree that a page that a user can see actually has a viewing restriction applied. This will give them some confidence that child content they create will also be restricted.

I'd just like this to be the usual lock symbol next to the page name. Something like this:

Any ideas on how this might be done?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Hergert December 18, 2012

Hey Adam -

Did you know that when you are viewing a page that has restrictions, there is a little padlock that appears beneath the page name, right next to the "Added by Smith, John, last edited by..." line. This padlock appears when the page itself has restrictions directly or indirectly from a parent in its lineage.

When you create a child page, typically you are on the page that will be its parent so by seeing that padlock before you click "Add > Page" you should know your child page will have some restrictions.

Adam Jacobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer.

I did know about the padlock icon on the page, but for our many new users to Confluence it's just too subtle to notice. I guess this is really a training issue for us.

I've seen some neat stuff that people have done to customise their sidebar, so guess I was looking for some leads on how to create something obvious to our users.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events