IP Allowlist only for Anonymous users

Emils Rudbahs April 8, 2022

Hello experts, 
We are moving to cloud and now we are hit wall for users that require read-only access (unlicensed users) to view content in our companies Confluence tenant.

As I understand, that is possible with option - anonymous access but, in my opinion, there is flaw - that everybody in internet can access it. That is a big no-no.

In Premium subscription, there is option for IP whitelisting, but, if my understanding is correct, it impacts everybody, even licensed users and that beats the purpose of Cloud solution for flexibility and ease of use. 

Maybe You have some suggestions what is the best practice to grant access to read-only content to unlicensed users ?

Open for anything to widen my few and maybe will find the correct solution for our needs

2 answers

0 votes
Dmitry Sharkov February 10, 2023

We have the same issue.
I have not found a way to have IP Allowlisting only apply to anonymous visitors and not authenticated users. This feature is probably the main reason we opted for the Premium licensing tier instead of the one below.

This seems to be a massive oversight in terms of usability but it may be that Atlassian never considered this use case and sees IP Allowlisting as simply a general security measure.

0 votes
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2022

As you described, for cloud, anonymous access will expose your content to the internet; yes, IP allowlisting rules can restrict it further, but it applies to all users, including customers. To my knowledge, read-only access to unlicensed users it's either opened to the internet or restricted by using IP allowlisting.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events