Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to migrate Confluence 4.3.7 to 5.3.7 and change Databases

Luke Vidler May 15, 2015

Hello, 

Currently running Confluence 4.3.7 with MS SQL in production with a medium sized Knowledge base connected to AD with around 20 users. Can anybody recommend the best way to migrate over to Postgres? I have been running 5.3.7 with Postgres in the backend in Development for some time and am finding it much better. Is there a recommended path? Database first? Import/Export? Abandon all hope? 

Thanks in Advance.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
salehparsa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2015

Hi Luke,

As your instance is Confluence 4.3.7 with MS SQL Server and you are looking to migrate to another database and then upgrade to Confluence 5.3.7, you need to generate XML backup from your Confluence 4.3.7 and import it into another Confluence 4.3.7 with Postgres. Once you can confirm that your Confluence 4.3.7 is up and running, then you need to create backup from your <confluence-home> and database and then proceed to upgrade to Confluence 5.3.7 smile  In the other word, you need to migrate your database first.

Following documentations are about migrating to another database and upgrade:

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Saleh

0 votes
Luke Vidler May 17, 2015

Hi Tim, 

Understood thanks.

I will follow Saleh's recommendation but maybe leave a gap of about a week after changing DB's before attempting an upgrade. 

0 votes
Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2015

My recommendation should be that never switch the DB and update Confluence at the same time.
If you have any error you don't know if it due to the new Confluence version or due to the DB change.

I would first change the DB and let the instance run for some days and look at the loga for any errors. Because you on the same version you know if the log entry is normal or not.

When you think all is fine, than update Confluence.

0 votes
Luke Vidler May 15, 2015

Hi Saleh, 

Great this is exactly what I wanted to know. Appreciate your help will give it a go.
Many Thanks.
salehparsa
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2015

You are most welcome Luke :-) Don't hesitate to contact Atlassian Support if you have any questions or concern.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events