I've lost all my content in the edit page

Astrid Lyssens February 6, 2023

Hi there,

I worked on a Confluence page about 1-2 months ago editing the page, and left it without publishing it for a while. I had the page open for a few weeks, in case I needed to go back to it, and I can see that the content in the edit page had been saved.

I've now come back to it, and most of the content that I've added has been lost. When I go back to see what changes had been made, the content that I've added hadn't even been recorded. Is this normal?

I feel a bit unsafe leaving content on Confluence without publishing it now if my work seems to go lost if I leave it for a few weeks or months.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2023

Hello @Astrid Lyssens 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

If you never Published the page, then you would not see the changes you were making in the page history. The changes you made were not made in the version of the page that is displayed to other users.

Unpublished pages are saved in your Drafts folder. Click on the "Recent" menu option and select Drafts.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 5.35.11 PM.png

That will give you a list of all the unpublished pages that you were working on.

Astrid Lyssens February 7, 2023

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for answering.

I have published it already, so the page doesn't appear on my Drafts list, unfortunately.

I had been working on other things in the meantime, but find it very weird that this page had suddenly lost my unpublished edits for this specific page. It's as if it only registered my first-ever edit version of the page (when I look at the edit page history), and everything else I've done was erased.

Maybe things get erased if not published after a while?

Who knows.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2023

I apologize. I provided incorrect information.

Drafts are created only for a page that is created but has never been published.

If you published the page once, then edited it again and Closed it without Publishing it, you would see an "Unpublished Changes" badge at the top of the page.

If another user edits the same page, they will see your unpublished changes.

That user can elect to publish your (and their own) changes for the page, or Close the page without publishing changes, or Revert to the last published version which removes your unpublished changes.

Here is the reference document.

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/create-edit-and-publish-a-page/

0 votes
Andy Furnival October 23, 2023

Confluence is notorious for loosing content. Its completely wiped out unpublished work for me, just by pasting some text into the page, and its not something you can even undo.  Once its gone, its gone, and you'll find no admission that confluence was the problem in these fourms

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events