I need to restore and run confluence server files fetched from ubuntu server

Rajesh KC March 11, 2021

Hello Support Team,

We are hosted confluence application in our local Ubuntu server , it's working fine for past two years. But ubuntu server is crashed recently because of HDD.

We are recovered confluence files from that server please guide me how to restore this confluence application into  windows server instead of ubuntu.

Hope you understand my situation. So please give me solution for this issue.

Regards,

Rajesh Kumar C

Manager-Systems & Operations

REDISOLVE SOFTWARE PRIVATE LIMITED

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2021

Hi @Rajesh KC , welcome to the Community!

I'm going to assume your database was on a separate server, and that the database server wasn't involved with the hard drive crash. It's good that you were able to recover the files on the Ubuntu Server!

This process is documented in a support article: Migrating Confluence between Servers . For your convenience I've copied the steps here and supplemented them slightly:

1. Run the Confluence installer on your new Windows server - you'll want to install the same version of Confluence that you had on your Ubuntu server. The download archive is available at this link.
  2. Shut down Confluence on both your old and new servers
  3. If you're using Oracle or MySQL, copy the drivers from your old server to the new one
  4. Delete the contents of the home directory on your new Confluence server (the Windows one), then copy in the contents of the home directory from your old Ubuntu Confluence server. 

5. Make any additional changes required for your environment:

If you're migrating from Linux to Windows, you'll need to replace the forward slashes with backslashes in the following lines in confluence.cfg.xml:

<property name="attachments.dir">${confluenceHome}\attachments</property>
    <property name="lucene.index.dir">${localHome}\index</property>
    <property name="webwork.multipart.saveDir">${localHome}\temp</property>
  6. Copy the <confluence-install>/conf/server.xml file from your old server to the same location on your new server

7. If you use a data source, ensure the data source points to the new database. See Configuring a datasource connection.
  8. Start Confluence, then head to General configuration > License Details to add your license key

We strongly recommend you perform a rebuild of your content indices after performing a migration, to ensure Confluence search works as expected.

That's more or less it -  the installer will set up the application for you on Windows, you're copying the home directory (plugins and attachments) in step 4 above, making some minor adjustments to the setup, and we expect that the database is not moving. The confluence.cfg.xml file mentioned in step 5 has the database setup details in it, so Confluence should be able to connect to the existing database once that file is copied over to your new Windows setup.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events