I need to migrate sharepoint to confluence 7.8 datacenter version

jasna stefanovic November 25, 2020

I need to know how to migrate sharepoint documentation and structure into Confluence. There are also some custom workflows in sharepoint, could those be migrated? 

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

That is more of an apples versus oranges type thing. SharePoint is file oriented, sort of a Windows File Explorer on steroids. Confluence is sort of like Wikipedia (page oriented), but  much more professional.

That means that just moving over files to make them attachments is not the correct methodology. You need to rethink what should become pages in Confluence and what needs to remain as attachments.

There may be some of your workflows that you can re-implement in Confluence, but others you may have to migrate to other systems.

You need to find someone who is very familiar with Confluence and has a working knowledge of SharePoint to help architect the transition.

jasna stefanovic November 25, 2020

Thanks Bill. What about just using the connector with the files i can't convert into wiki pages? 

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2020

In reading about it, the connector just makes it easier to access file stored in SharePoint, not convert them to Confluence.

The company I work for has both SharePoint and Confluence, and we have be moving as much as we can off of SharePoint. Part of this process is rethinking how you store data (using pages rather than files). And also requires setting up some pages as repositories for presentations. Some of the other functions were a moving from manually SharePoint process to other automated systems (custom code).

This kind of change requires a cultural change when a company (plus a commitment to making it happen).

Like Dave Liao likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events