I need help with a specific layout and functionality, using new editor. PLEASE HELP, THANK YOU!

Aly Harper December 1, 2020

I have a very specific request from my boss on how he wants this project laid out. I haven't been able to get all the functions he is requesting to work at the same time. He wants text on the left, graphics on the right. The text is a very large word document with specific formatting so I am importing it then pasting it into the panel macro so we have scroll function. The struggle I am having is he would like to be able to click a link that jumps to the graphic (all in the same page) while keeping the text you were just reading to left of that graphic. Or the graphic can just open with expand next to it as well. The goal is while you are reading this document the reference images can appear when you are told to "see image". I hope this makes sense. Thank you for any answers, they are very appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2020

Hello @Aly Harper!

As I understand, you need an independently scrollable column on the right side of your page.

Currently, you are not able to achieve this with native Confluence features. The most reasonable solution for this, while still relying solely on Confluence features would be to add the expand macro containing the image right after the “See Image” text. The only limitation to this is that inline images are not supported in the new editor, so this would look like this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 13.33.20.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-03 at 13.33.27.png

I was able to dig up some older posts here in our community that discuss how to achieve this with a third-party tool called Content Formatting Macros for Confluence:

Here is the community thread about it:

Making your page element sticky will prevent it from disappearing from your page while you scroll it, keeping it side by side with the current text being read on the left.

Let us hear from you!

Aly Harper December 3, 2020

Thank you so much for your answer, I am going to try  it out and I will send back how it went!! 

Like Diego likes this
Aly Harper December 3, 2020

@Diego Ran into a problem following the instructions from the community thread. The thread is from 2019, so I'm not sure if that much would have changed from then to know. However they suggest downloading the Content Formatting for Confluence macro (which is what I did). Next I need to use the Div and CSS Stylesheet macro provided with the Content Formatting to achieve my layout goal. I cant find those anywhere and when I see what they offer in the overview, this is what they have listed;

• Tabs
  • LaTeX Formatting
  • Progress Bar 
  • Tooltip
  • Buttons 
  • Button Group
  • Footnotes 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE