I need a HTTP link opening the linked page in a new tab

Michel January 28, 2021

Hi,

actually  the HTTP link opens the page in the same tab. I need it in a new tab.

Is there any way  for that ?

Thanks

Michel

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2021

Hello there!

Currently, this is listed as a Feature Suggestion in our reports. You can take a look at it here:

Users can use the following to open links in a new tab:

• CTRL+Left Click (Windows) or CMD+Left Click (macOS)
  • Right click > Open in a new tab

This need has been shared in our Community a few years back, you can check it here:

Let us hear from you!

Greg Guilbeau September 28, 2021

This would be a great enhancement!

Mark Burgess December 6, 2021

I agree with the suggestion. It's a fundamental User Experience principle to keep the user "knowing" where they are. Using the back button on the browser isn't that great. It's also awkward to tell our users to use CTRL+Left Click, etc.  This would be a much needed enhancement. 

Like # people like this
Khambat May 4, 2022

Yes, it is a simple yet powerful feature! Will help the community a lot. 

Jason Wendt November 1, 2022

Any updates on this enhancement?  Appears last entry response was in May 2022.  Hopefully, this enhancement will be coming sooner than later.  Advanced thanks for your time!

Like # people like this
Ger O'Halloran January 30, 2023

Would also be great to have this feature incorporated into Confluence Links. Been nearly two years, has there been any progress on it I wonder?

Update: Whoops, seems like decision was already made not to include the option for opening links in new tabs. 

Jason Wendt January 30, 2023

I have not seen the decision update anywhere.  It is odd that this simple task cannot be integrated within the basic Confluence package.  With that being said, it is offered within the Macro Suite so the ability is there.  All that an engineer would need to do is copy/paste the code from the Macro Suite into the basic platform.  Voila!

Hopefully, the decision can be overturned soon and provide a value-added benefit for all users of Confluence.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Martin Rush November 16, 2021

I changed the anchor tag, in the "edit HTML" to include the target="_blank" attribute inside the anchor tag.  I saved the changes and it TOOK MY EDITS OUT!

That's frustrating.

Kevin Belzer December 10, 2021

same here, that is actually nuts.. Would love to hear their logic for this.

Steven Bong February 26, 2022

I sold Confluence Cloud to my Operations team and now I'm finding out it's a cut down version of the original self-hosted Confluence I grew up to love.

Colour me a conspiracy theorist but this seems like these restrictions are to pave the way their marketplace for custom "apps", veiled under the guise of security.

EDIT: inb4 DC licenses are still available etc., we're a small to medium enterprise (way less than 500 users) and can't stomach the five digit price tag as a starting point.

Mark Burgess January 30, 2023

I agree with you Martin... the minimal the product could offer would be to allow the HTML edit so that the browser could open a new tab or window. The best would be to allow it to be configured when creating a link. The worst seems to be the solution of "telling users they have to use a CTRL+Left Click". This just isn't something users do in any other application when they click a link. They expect us to provide useful navigation.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events