cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot connect Confluence to a postgresql db

Joss Ellis August 16, 2015

I hope someone can help here...

I have a new Dell server running Debian 8.1

I have JIRA successfully running on this server connected to a postgresql db ('jiradb' with user 'jira')

I've installed a 10 user Confluence test on the same server and that  seems to have installed fine and I can get it up on a browser via the standard 8090 port.

I created the database 'confdb' with user 'confuser'

However when I fill in the details on the webpage I get 2 errors

The following error(s) occurred:

• configuring.db.failed
  • org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "confuser"

here's the JIRA database config in case that helps...

cat atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<jira-database-config>
<name>defaultDS</name>
<delegator-name>default</delegator-name>
<database-type>postgres72</database-type>
<schema-name>public</schema-name>
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:postgresql://127.0.0.1:5432/jiradb</url>
<driver-class>org.postgresql.Driver</driver-class>
<username>jira</username>
<password>****</password>
<pool-min-size>20</pool-min-size>
<pool-max-size>20</pool-max-size>
<pool-max-wait>30000</pool-max-wait>
<pool-max-idle>20</pool-max-idle>
<pool-remove-abandoned>true</pool-remove-abandoned>
<pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>300</pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>
</jdbc-datasource>
</jira-database-config>

I'm trying to use the following for confluence

Driver Class Name ... org.postgresql.Driver

Database URL   jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/confdb

User Name confuser

Pawssword xxxxx

Thanks in advance
Joss

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joss Ellis August 19, 2015

Answering my own question here, but thought I would in-case anyone else gets this.

I deleted the database mentioned above
created a database user called confluence
created a database called confdb owned by confluence.
re-ran the web app and bingo it worked.

So it did appear for me in Linux that I needed a database user with the same name as the user who runs and owns all the confluence processes (i.e. the default 'confluence' user that's set up on install.)

Michael Gruben-Trejo May 3, 2017

I'm installing PostgreSQL and Confluence in Windows.

These steps are exactly what I needed to get Confluence to connect to the newly-installed PostgreSQL server.

To create the database and user, you can use pgAdmin4, if you'd prefer a GUI interface.

0 votes
Luiz Maia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2015

Hi Joss,

I strongly believe your "confuser" has not been set as database owner for the "confdb" schema.

Can you confirm if the login role for the database is correct?

Thanks!

Regards,
Luiz Maia 

Joss Ellis August 17, 2015

Hi Luiz, Thanks for the reply ... that doesn't seem to be the issue sadly. logging in as the user 'postgres' and running psql gives:- postgres=# \du List of roles Role name | Attributes | Member of -----------+------------------------------------------------+----------- confuser | Create role, Create DB | {} jira | Create DB | {} postgres | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication | {} and postgres=# \l List of databases Name | Owner | Encoding | Collate | Ctype | Access privileges -----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+----------------------- confdb | confuser | UTF8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | jiradb | jira | UTF8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | postgres | postgres | UTF8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | template0 | postgres | UTF8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | =c/postgres + | | | | | postgres=CTc/postgres template1 | postgres | UTF8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | en_AU.UTF-8 | =c/postgres + | | | | | postgres=CTc/postgres (5 rows) I do wonder if the problem might be having 'confuser' rather than the user 'confluence' which also owns the install of confluence. i.e. I have these Linux users jira postgres confuser confluence CHeers Joss

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2015

There's not a lot we can tell you I'm afraid - the database is rejecting the username/password combination and the system is telling you that that is the response from the database.

There's lots of reasons jdbc will fail to connect to a postgres database, but it reports "username/password" for a lot of them.

The first question is can you use psql -H localhost -U confuser -W (xxxxxxx) to get into the database on the command line?  That will probably also fail, but it should give you the actual error instead of just username/password (if it still says username password, then your xxxxxx is wrong, use the system account to reset it)

Joss Ellis August 17, 2015

Thanks for the feedback Nic, so I tried this root@Perforce1:/home# su - postgres postgres@Perforce1:~$ psql postgres=# ALTER USER confuser WITH PASSWORD 'confuser'; ALTER ROLE postgres=# \q postgres@Perforce1:~$ psql -H localhost -U confuser -w confuser psql: warning: extra command-line argument "confuser" ignored psql: FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "confuser" postgres@Perforce1:~$ psql -H localhost -U confuser -w psql: FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "confuser" postgres@Perforce1:~$ su - confuser Password:<I typed confuser> confuser@Perforce1:~$ Shouldn't this have forced the password ? Thanks Joss

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events