I can't upload edited Office documents back to Confluence

Trevor Norris October 23, 2012

We're evaluating Confluence on-demand as a document repository. We mostly use Win7 and Office 2010, the browser is typically IE.

I've uploaded original documents (docx and xlsx) for testing. I can open them to edit from within Confluence, but when I try to save-and-upload from the editing application (excel or word) the application responds with

"upload failed. your changes were saved (locally) but could not be uploaded because of an error"

What could be causing this? where do I start? Thanks.

5 answers

3 votes
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2012

This is a current known issue with Confluence: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-26911

We are currently working on a fix, but it probably won't be ready for a couple of weeks yet.

0 votes
Scott Merry July 5, 2017

I'm having the same problem described in the original October 2012 post.

Has this issue been solved in the 5 1/2 years since it was posted?

Thanks.

Laurence Chiu September 3, 2017

I am on Atlassian 5.10.07 and experiened the problem myself. This is with Office 2013 and Edge. I tried IE but I get an ActiveX error which seems to be security related

Paulius Ribakovas January 10, 2018

Facing the same issue on Confluence 6.0.3, using MSO 2016. I used to be able to do this and my colleagues are still able to, but it is not possible from my PC

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

Hello Paulius,

Could you provide error logs from catalina.out?

In fact, on Confluence 6.6.0 with MSO 2016 it works.

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

0 votes
jjak June 19, 2013
This seems to still be an issue with Confluence 5.1.3 standalone with java 1.7.0_21. When attempting to "edit in office" and save docx or xlsx error message "Upload failed Your changes were saved but could not be uploaded because of an error. You may be able to upload this file using the server web page." is displayed. Using Office Connector Plugin 3.0.3.
jjak June 19, 2013

Based on a comment by sap in https://jira.atlassian.com/i#browse/CONF-26911 I have verified that in voth confluence standalone 4.1.10 & 5.1.3 if I have jave 1.7.x in use I get the error. If I switch to java 1.6.x "edit in office" works fine and I can save without problem or error. Of course staying with 1.6.x is not really an option.

0 votes
Susan Parker October 25, 2012

We have this issue too. After extensive back and forth communications with support, the conclusion is the same as Michael Knight's answer above.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2012

Despite the error message, can you check if it has uploaded successfully?

Do you have office in protected mode?

Trevor Norris October 24, 2012

Thanks for the replies. When the document opens, it is "edit disabled" until I click the "enable editing" button that MSO provides (this is office 2010, BTW).

The document is not uploaded due to the failure. If I re-open the doc from Confluence, none of my edits are present. So the online and offline versions of the doc are now out of sync. The MSO upload manager continues to show me the failed uploads, but offers no assistance to overcoming the issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events