I can't edit documents

Harun Hujic January 18, 2018

Dear support team, 

Our organization is using: https://confluence.basketball-bund.net and only Michael Gheisler who created the document can edit it. 

He has set to no restrictions and has given all of us the option to "view and edit". However, we are not able to edit as only he sees the "edit" button. The rest of us don't. 

Looking forward to your reply. Many thanks in advance. 

Regards, 

Harun

2 answers

0 votes
Doug Van Kirk May 8, 2019

The problem is that the text says "Everyone can view and edit this page." It doesn't say "Everyone in the space..." or "Everyone but you..." It's completely unambiguous: Everyone can edit the page. But that's simply not true. 

I suggest 2 improvements:

The permissions note should say "Everyone can view this page. Members of this space can edit it."

A button that says "Request permission to be a member of this space"

Finally, there needs to be a simple way to provide page editing permissions to people who aren't space members.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2019

Hello Doug,

Welcome to Community and thank you for following up on this!

In the current version of Confluence, I agree that it's not very clear in the heading that you must have been given explicit permissions to a space in order to access unrestricted pages. The view is as follows:

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 15.24.03.png

For the sake of text search:

Everyone can view and edit this page.

Need to limit who can see this?

Right now everyone can view and edit this page if they've got the right space permissions. Use the dropdown above to restrict this page to only some people.

While the subtext's purpose is to clarify this point, I believe we can improve the heading to make it more clear that you need to have been given permission to the space.

I've created the following feature request:

• CONFSERVER-58250 Page Permissions dialog doesn't take into account space permissions with its messaging

By voting on the feature above you can help us keep track of how popular such a feature would be. You will also be automatically added to the watch list so you can be informed of any updates or changes.

As for the 2nd request, we have a feature request for this currently:

• CONFSERVER-33609 For spaces users don't have permission for, allow users to request access

Same as above, you can vote on this and watch it, and you'll be updated of any progress.

I hope that helps but please do let me know if you have any questions or doubts about any of this.

Take care, and have a pleasant day.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2018

Hi Harun,

I need a bit of clarification here. I assume you're referring to a single page in Confluence that you're not able to edit? 

I'll need to see the Space Permissions for the Space in question, as well as the current restriction settings (even if it's set to no restrictions). You may need to ask your admin to step in with this.

Regards,

Shannon

Harun Hujic January 18, 2018

Thanks Shannon, 

It says: Everyone can view and edit this page.

In the page restrictions it's clearly set that everyone can view and edit. 

The admin is sitting next to me and not sure what else he can do. Link that shows missing Edit button

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
January 18, 2018

Thanks for the screen shot. It sounds like you have ruled out page restrictions as the issue. Please check the space permissions next, as described in: Permissions and restrictions

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2018

Harun,

As my colleague Ann has mentioned, we recommend that you have your administrator check the Space Permissions as well for the SR-Campus space. It could be possible that you haven't been given edit permissions on the space as a whole, which would cause this issue.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Shannon

Harun Hujic January 19, 2018

Thanks Ann and Shannon, 

Exactly that was the case :) We managed to fix it and am happily editing now. 

Wish you both a lovely weekend ahead. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2018

Harun,

Happy we were able to assist you! Take care, and have a nice weekend as well.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events