I am new to Confluence, are there any tools to assist with help authoring?

Kelly_Marshall January 10, 2019

Hi,

I know I can send a user an article in confluence, but what about developing a whole section where they don't have to log in, can access a directory of articles, search and see items?

Ideally, I would like to see this as a specific url that can be added as a 'help' link and be used essentially by anyone who knows the url.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2019

Hi @Kelly_Marshall,

am I correct that you would like to share a page with a reader that can only view without adding a separate user for him? Would you like some sort of "reader mode" for ready-to-be-shared-pages?

Roman.

Kelly_Marshall January 11, 2019

Hi @roman,

Thanks for asking, I'm looking more for like a main page (which I think is called a 'space' plus connected pages (with some sort of index/search) function available as read-only without any login required.  I found some info on making confluence pages public - which might be enough, but I don't have all the rights yet to do it. 

Do you have other thoughts on how this could be done effectively?  I don't think we want to invest in some sort of help authoring software like RoboHelp...which is basically what I'm looking to have as an end result - a help application site for our users only.

Thanks again,

Kelly

roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2019

@Kelly_Marshall,

I think what you want to achieve can be achieved with the app we develop — Scroll Viewport

It creates a second view for a space in Confluence that is read-only. If the space is configured to be a public space, log in is not required. Atlassian is using Viewport for documentation for all of their apps.

Here is the documentation for Confluence, which is actually a Viewport on top of a Confluence space: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-server-documentation-135922.html.

Our help website is also Viewport with content taken from Confluence pages: https://help.k15t.com.

Does it look like something that would work for your use-case?

Roman.

Like # people like this
Kelly_Marshall January 15, 2019

Hi Roman,

Yes, it is very nice!  I will let my manager know about it.  How does the licensing work if the space is public and anonymous, does the server pricing reflect the number of users who use confluence now (not including the public spaces) or would it be based on the number of people (either logged in or anonymous) looking at the space at one time?

Thank you!

Kelly

roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2019

Kelly,

licensing is not dependant on the app’s usage. The model is used for all apps sold on the Marketplace: the app’s license count has to match the license count of Confluence it is going to be installed on. 

If you have a 2000 users Confluence license, you would need to purchase a 2000 users license for third-party apps. Even if only 10 users would be using them. This is a rule from Atlassian.

Roman.

Kelly_Marshall January 16, 2019

@romanthat sounds good.  Wasn't sure what it was based on.  I'll definitely present this to my manager.  Thanks!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events