cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyperlink to Network/Local files

ABandekar July 22, 2020

Hi All,

Let me begin by saying that I have read below:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Confluence-How-to-place-a-link-to-a-file-on-a-server-share-in-a/qaq-p/258790

We are on Confluence Cloud and I am trying to create hyperlink to files on my local and/or network drive. This does not seem to work. Can someone please provide me step-by-step guide of we can do this and which MACRO to use for it.

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

Is your local file share served up with a valid standard protocol that your browser(s) support and on a valid url?

If you want this to be generally available to all your people, you need to be using a local/network url that is understandable by all browsers.  And bear in mind that your "local" drive is not other people's, which makes the point of collaboration useless as you'll be looking at different things.

ABandekar July 23, 2020

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

You are right about the "local" drive. I won't be exposing my "local" on Confluence. I am looking to share paths on network driver that are accessible to everyone.

I am able to access the files from browser, mainly Chrome, as file://<path>

How should I set up the hyperlink on my Confluence page?

Like Dieter Woerner likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2020

You can just put file://<path> in as the url for a link.

It does require the browser to understand it though, and "file" is not a standard so a lot don't.

ABandekar July 24, 2020

My browser support "file://<path>" URLs. But on Confluence pages the "Link" macro does not accept "file://<path>" as URL. What is wrong?

Like # people like this
IT August 2, 2021

Did you manage to find a way to make this work?

Like RobertG likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

Yes, if you use a browser that supports file:// and give it a valid link to a common share (not a local mapping), it will open the file or directory in the browser.

ABandekar August 2, 2021

Did not work for me. I am using Confluence Cloud. file:// is supported by the browser. But "Link" macro does not support file://

Like # people like this
lbarton September 12, 2021

Hi @ABandekar  - 

Were you able to resolve this issue?   I agree it is not the browser it is the limitation of the macro.   

I am looking for way to create a hyperlink on a Confluence page pointing to a network location (file: extension).   The macro only supports https. 

ABandekar September 12, 2021

@lbarton No solution so far.

lbarton September 13, 2021

[sigh] Thank you @ABandekar !   Appreciate the quick reply anyway. 

Mattias Vannergård February 9, 2022

Would be great to have a solution for this.

Like # people like this
Elvina Chang April 4, 2022

I have the same issue, confluence Insert link, does not accept file://../../ but in the browser, it works fine.

Like Sam Forouzi likes this
Jacob Horwath April 8, 2022

Would like to see this as a feature as well. It would be nice to be able to link network locations or other files in confluence.

Like # people like this
Jahn Quinnett May 5, 2022

We use a workaround where we open every file with edge which formats it for us, (the only thing I have found edge is good for btw lol) then copy the link from the address field and paste that address in as the web link.  You will have to have your people install the "enable local file links" extension for chrome, or set up confluence as a trusted site for IE, in order to be able to open the files but it works.  Just kinda sad confluence can't just do this formatting for file links.  When we used sharepoint previously it had no problem formatting file links automatically.

Sven Alderath September 14, 2022

Using Windows as Client System, save a (Windows) link file in Confluence as an attachment.

If you open the link file, the origin linked file will be opened.  

Like # people like this
DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events