Hyperlink issues when copying and renaming a page in Confluence

Chuck Gee July 29, 2020

Hello community,

I am asking for help relating to the use of links within a Confluence page. I am very comfortable at the basics of using anchors and links within a page, as well as creating links to pages within the same space and pages in different spaces. My question has to do with the behavior of the links when a page is copied and renamed to create another version of the page, such as when a newer version of the information is being created but is largely based on the existing page. I would like the links in the copied/renamed page to point to the anchors also in the copied/renamed page so I don't have to go through every link and update them to point to the anchors in the newly copied/renamed page but the way the links are behaving currently, when I copy and rename a page the links point to the anchors in the original page. Although I can see where that might be desired in some cases, when creating a copy of a page to update I need the links to point to the copied page, not the original page.

For example, I have created page 1.0 that has many links to different areas of the page such as "...for more information, refer to DETAILS..." with the word "DETAILS" set as a link to an anchor further on in the page that has more information the reader may be interested in. At the end of the "DETAIL" section, I have another link "RETURN TO..." that allows the reader to easily return to the spot in the page where they were before selecting the "DETAILS" link. The "RETURN TO..." link is associated with an anchor I have placed near the area where the reader was originally in the page.

OK, when new information becomes available, I want to create page 2.0, so I copy page 1.0 to the same space and then rename the copied page to page 2.0  After publishing page 2.0 I begin the modifications with new information but the links that are now in page 2.0 still  point to the anchors in page 1.0 instead of the anchors in page 2.0.  Yes, I could rename and modify the original page 1.0, turning that page in to 2.0 and the copied page would become the older page 1.0, but the links in page 1.0 still point to anchors in page 2.0 and that is a problem due to possibly changed information related to a particular anchor.

The links in Confluence did not always behave this way. I have many pages created last year (in 2019) where the links in the copied pages would be pointed to the anchors in the copied pages, which is my desired link action.

I am happy to provide samples from the View Storage Format or Source Editor of a line from an earlier page with the link stays connected to the anchor within the current page, and the exact same line from a page where the link stays connected to the anchor within the previous page, if that would be helpful.

I hope this makes sense to anyone reading this very long explanation and request for help. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their thoughts/experiences/suggestions.

1 answer

0 votes
gofarrell May 4, 2021

I have the same question - but there are no helpful hints here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events