Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How2 use built in velocity context?

Adrian Terwedow September 24, 2012

Hi,

I'm using a velocity template rendered by the velocity template renderer from within a servlet. The template is rendered fine although my web-resources are bound like they should.

Problem is I cant get any of the built in velocity context elements like $dateutils, $generalUtil, $baseUrl and so on to do anything. Everything is rendered as string and seems not being processed as variables.

As those contexts are mentioned to be accessible from action- and macro-modules, I already tried to implement GeneralUtil as a velocity-context-item like that:

<velocity-context-item key="generalUtilContextItem"
	name="General Util Context Item" context-key="generalUtil"
	class="com.atlassian.confluence.util.GeneralUtil"
/>

But with no effort. Did I miss anything or is it just impossible to get them to work in a servlet-hooked template?

Edit:

Thanks for your fast reply John and sorry for my delayed response :(

I followed Your suggestion and installed a lokal confluence instance via the atlassian plugins sdk 3.2.

Then I'd set up a new servlet-plugin project to run under Confluence 4.3. I am now able to use the applicationProperties Context just as suggested, but unfortunatly I still can't use the generalUtils or dateUtils items. Do I have to set up a manager instance in my servlet to be able to use them or should it be enough to declare them as velocity-context-item or template-context-items in the atlassian-plugin.xml?

Thanks and regards

Artee

1 answer

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2012

Hi Artee,

I see that this question relates to an OnDemand instance of Confluence, and if that is the case then the reason you won't be able to do this is because this is a restricted function in OnDemand, as per our documentation on the restricted functions in OnDemand: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand

Therefore if this functionality is important to you then you should consider hosting your own instance of Confluence so that you can customise the velocity templates in your instance.

All the best,
John

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events