Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to version confluence templates?

Bruce Becker September 24, 2018

Hello!

I am developing a template in confluence which others are expected to use to generate pages. It is a work in progress at the moment, while I collect feedback. It is difficult to do this without knowing which version of the template they were using, but I can't find how to tag versions of a template in Confluence.

Does such functionality exist?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ada Chen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2018

Hi @Bruce Becker - You could include different labels in your templates (eg. "V1", "V2", "V3", etc.), so when people create pages off of the templates they'll be labeled with the version/naming convention you want. 

There are more details on how to do that here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/create-a-template-296093779.html (scroll down to "Labels" about halfway down the page).

Bruce Becker September 24, 2018

much obliged, @Ada Chen

The idea of using labels makes sense to me, although I find it a bit fragile. Another problem is that Confluence doesn't permit semantic versioning in labels, because`.` is not permitted in the label name. Can you comment on whether semantic versioning in labels would be possible?

Thanks!

Bruce

Ada Chen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2018

@Bruce Becker - Fair point, as far as I know it is not possible due to the `.` limitation you mentioned. And for what it's worth, we use `-` internally.

I tried searching for a feature request related to this but didn't find any - if you feel strongly about it, I'd suggest submitting this as a feature request via jira.atlassian.com.

0 votes
EPS Software Engineering AG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2018

Hi Bruce,

Our App Page Tree Creator (PTC) could be a solution for your requirement. The PTC Template is based on a normal Confluence Page (can be more than one page, so a page tree). The Confluence version can be add to the page during the creation process. You also can combine the PTC with Comala Workflows.

You can find the PTC on the Marketplace.

Regards,
Stephan (CEO of EPS Software Engineering, the vendor of the Page Tree Creator)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events