How to utilize the Java JDK-provided file tools.jar in a plugin?

Thomas Peter Berntsen December 27, 2017

Hi there,

I am developing a plugin for an Atlassian product, and I would like to use the tools.jar file provided by Java JDKs in my plugin, but I can't grok how.

The file in question is usually found in the lib/ folder directly beneath the JDK home directory as described below (in a simplified form):

The relative path of the tools.jar file:

jdk1.8.0/lib/tools.jar

The relative path of the JRE:

jdk1.8.0/jre

As described on the Managing dependencies page of the Atlassian SDK Developer documentation, when developing a plugin, we have to take classloader isolation and runtime dependencies into consideration when reasoning about what classes are and can be loaded.

If possible, I do not wish to bundle tools.jar with my plugin, however, as I foresee that this could lead to several problems with incompatibilities between the SDK used for the Atlassian server application process and the tools.jar provided by the plugin. I would rather use the file included on the server with the JDK.

The question is then: if I cannot go down the route of bundling the tools.jar file with my plugin, how do I bend/extend the OSGi system to also include tools.jar as a container-provided package, and not a plugin-provided one?

(I should add that I have verified that I can access and use the classes within the tools.jar file from ScriptRunner using the classic methods of adding jar files to the classpath, so my code works as long as the classes can be loaded).

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Thomas

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2017

Hello,

You would need to convert the jar to OSGI bundle first. Then you can attach it to your plugin. Kindly read more here

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/ConvertAJarIntoOsgiBundle.html

https://developer.atlassian.com/server/framework/atlassian-sdk/bundling-extra-dependencies-in-an-obr/

Thomas Peter Berntsen December 27, 2017

Hi Alexey,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I would, however, like to avoid bundling it with my plugin, and instead use the one found in the JDK on the server.

Best,
Thomas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events