I am installing Confluence on a new windows 2016 server. I have an install already running on an older windows server.
how do you connect this new install to your existing DB and where can I get my licence key from to enter into the new installation.
the license keys can be obtained from the Atlassian Portal:
Login with your Atlassian ID & select the right product. Copy the key & paste it in your Confluence installation.
Regarding the use of an existing Confluence DB for a new installation, I can only advice not to do so: All attachments to Confluence pages (Images, PDF,...) are stored on disc & not inside the database. So by just changing the database you will loose all images & attachments in existing pages.
I would proceed like this:
1. Shutdown your existing Confluence server
2. Copy the complete Confluence installation (Home & data directories) to the new server. Make sure you use the same disk/directory structure as on the exsting server.
3. Create a backup of the Confluence database
4. Restore the backup of the database using another database server and the same db name or the same database server with another db name (Your choice)
5. Edit the confluence.cfg.xml file to point your new server to the restored database
6. Startup your new server
Your new server should startup. The application log might display some errors (Server name, IP, Path,..). Set the new server name in the Confluence configuration. If the new server is running w/o issues, you can upgrade it to a newer Confluence version by using the relevant installation file & choose the upgrade option when prompted.
You might want to read
before starting the upgrade or described process.
The upgrade procedure is described in detail in
Here is the process that we use to copy our production system to our test system, which is basically the same process of moving one production system to a new production system.
Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events