Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use TOC links, anchor links, include SnagIt images

tenduinc February 5, 2020

Perhaps I am just not seeing or finding it but many things that I expect to be easy seem overly difficult or to just not work.

A general standard is, given a TOC one can click on an item in the TOC to be taken to that header in the document, in Confluence it goes back and forth vs to the header.

I cannot seem to find (or remember) how to do something as simple as using an anchor link (an intra-page hyperlink).

Why can I not seem to copy a simple SnagIt image into a Confluence page?

1 answer

0 votes
Sireesha Dugginapeddi [Appfire]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2020

Hi @tenduinc

TOC links - Sorry, I am little confused with back and forth vs the header. Once you click the link from TOC, you are navigated to the respective topic/header. To go back to TOC, you will have to scroll back.

If you are looking for a floating TOC, Atlassian doesn't provide the feature natively. There is still an open ticket, where you might want to add your vote. CONFSERVER-57903. There is this macro that does the job for you (in server).

For more details about native TOC macro, refer to this link.

Anchors - Refer to this article to know all about links and anchors for both new and legacy editor.

Snagit images - I am assuming you are including the .jpg or .png formats of the Snagit image in your Confluence page. It is always suggested to not copy paste the image, you should insert the intended image (.jpg or .png format) into your page instead. This ensures the image display as expected. If not, at times you might see a broken image after publishing or on a different browser.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Sireesha

tenduinc February 8, 2020

To clarify the issue I am having:

I well understand the standard operation of a TOC, one should be able to click on a TOC item and be taken to the related heading. However, when I click on a TOC item, Confluence "flashes" to the header then back to the TOC (it does not stay on the header).

The articles you reference are the ones I went to, read, and tried before posing my question.

Anchors: it seems that in order to get the link to a word or phrase in an article one must be in Publish mode. Then, to insert that link where it needs to be, one must be in Edit mode. Which means that I must go back and forth between Publish and Edit every time I want to put in a simple anchor link.

SnagiIt Images: thanks for the tip, I will try inserting the image, just seems like it should be easier

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events