How to use Markdown in Confluence

David Ventimiglia November 14, 2022

How do I use Markdown if at all for authoring Confluence content?

I ask because a web search shows a number of articles and pieces of documentation that indicate one can use Markdown directly in Confluence via Insert > Markdown.  However, I don't have that option.  My Confluence insert drop-down offers many choices, but Markdown isn't one of them.  See the attached screenshot.

What do you all recommend?

Screenshot from 2022-11-14 15-11-54.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dawid Joshua [TechTime]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2022
The Markdown description you're sharing fits the Legacy editor. From Confluence wiki markup syntax page (here):
To insert markdown in the Legacy editor:
  1. Choose Insert > Markup
  2. Select Markdown
  3. Type or paste your text - the preview will show you how it will appear on your page. 
  4. Choose Insert.
As with wiki markup, Confluence Cloud will convert your markdown to the rich text editor format. You will not be able to edit your content using markdown.

Legacy editor on Cloud exists only when you migrate from Server to Cloud. When you hit the Create button on Confluence Cloud, you can only use the New editor to create pages. Check the differences between the two editors here. Although you don't have a markdown macro in the new editor, it comes with native formatting options listed here

Hope that answers your question.
0 votes
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2023

Hi David,

If you paste Markdown into Confluence editor, it will automatically convert to Confluence format. So if you want to edit, you can no more use Markdown after pasting.

As an alternative option, we recently released an app: Markdown for Confluence - Native Markdown Editor

With this app, you can create and edit Confluence pages with Markdown. So it allows pasting Markdown and editing them afterward using Markdown.

Hope this app will be helpful. Let us know if you have any feedback.

Saurabh Kumar Mahra
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2024

Hi @Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software 

I can confirm that pasting markdown code does it as markdown and automatically format it. Is there any alternative way to do it?

Saurabh Kumar Mahra
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2024

It only works for single line markdowns, that too if they do not have newline character at the end. Is there a way to upload a large markdown code?

Like Georg Duemlein likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events