cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use LIKE operator in Active Objects query

Max Madjarov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2013

Hallo :-)

i would like to fetch all records in DB that have similar titles with LIKE operator. My query looks like:

import com.atlassian.activeobjects.external.ActiveObjects;
private final ActiveObjects ao;
int queryResult0 = ao.find(CategoryEntity.class,
                Query.select().where("CATEGORY_TITLE LIKE ?", categoryTitle)).length;

but i allways get an empty set!!! only if the category title exactly matches, like MyTitle -> MyTitle (TRUE) i get some results if not, like MyTitle - mytitle (FALSE) i get no results!

Please help :-)

Thanks

Max

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Max Madjarov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

it was very easy... CATEGORY_TITLE and "query" string should be casted to lower or upper case:

Query.select().where("LOWER(CATEGORY_TITLE) LIKE LOWER(?)", "%" + categoryTitle + "%")).length;

because like- query is case sensetive and you should have two strings in same, lower or upper case to compare....

Thanks!

2 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2013
You should write ...LIKE '%?%'
Max Madjarov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2013
Ok, it makes sense :-) i will try it out
Max Madjarov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2013

i tried it out and my query looks like this one:

Query.select().where("CATEGORY_TITLE LIKE '%?%'", categoryTitle)).length;

but i got exception:

categoryTitle : management
caused by: com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.ActiveObjectsSqlException: There was a SQL exception thrown by the Active Objects library:
Database:
  - name:HSQL Database Engine
  - version:2.2.4
  - minor version:2
  - major version:2
Driver:
  - name:HSQL Database Engine Driver
  - version:2.2.4

java.sql.SQLException: Invalid argument in JDBC call: parameter index out of range: 1
at com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.EntityManagedActiveObjects.find(EntityManagedActiveObjects.java:165)
caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid argument in JDBC call: parameter index out of range: 1
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)
caused by: org.hsqldb.HsqlException: Invalid argument in JDBC call: parameter index out of range: 1
at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source)

0 votes
jhinch (Atlassian)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 13, 2013

You need to concatenate the % with the search text:

int num = ao.count(CategoryEntity.class,
  Query.select()
    .where("CATEGORY_TITLE LIKE ?",
      "%" + categoryTitle + "%"));

Max Madjarov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2013

Unfortunately this does not work too. I have adapted the query to:

int queryResult1 = ao.count(CategoryEntity.class,
   Query.select().where("CATEGORY_TITLE LIKE ?",        
   "%"+categoryTitle+"%"));

i have one record in db: Management and i try to test the query and find management or mAnagement but i get allways an empty set back :-(

FhatuN April 24, 2014

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem too. I implemented Max solution it works inMemory database but when using PostgreSql does not work. Is there a work around for PostGreSql when we come to compare without checking the case?

Deleted user June 16, 2019

Hi,

I am also facing the above issue with PostgreSQL, LOWER(NAME) is not working as part of the WHERE clause. It is throwing the below exception. Does anyone have the solution for this issue (case-insensitive search in PostgreSQL database)?

com.atlassian.activeobjects.internal.ActiveObjectsSqlException: There was a SQL exception thrown by the Active Objects library:
Database:

- name:PostgreSQL
- version:9.6.9
- minor version:6
- major version:9
Driver:
- name:PostgreSQL Native Driver
- version:PostgreSQL 9.4.1212
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column "name" does not exist
Like # people like this
Sascha Novakovic August 19, 2019

Hi,

case-insensitive search with PostgresQL should work with column name quoted, like LOWER("NAME").

Best regards
Sascha

Like Prasad Rambanam[ACIS] likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events