How to upload lockable files in Confluence

Jim_Franklin April 12, 2023

I'm looking for help with something that's pretty basic. I want to upload a file attachment to a Confluence page and have other users be able to lock that attachment for editing.

I don't see anything in the Confluence documentation that describes how to do this.

Can someone help?

2 answers

2 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023

As far as I know this app is the absolutely most popular solution for the problem: Cenote Lockpoint.

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

Hi @Jim_Franklin welcome to the Atlassian community.

I'm not pretty clear with your query. However, I believe the inline links and a workaround might assist your question:

Permission to Disable Attachments Download >> Atlassian is gathering voting on this topic.

List of Confluence plugins you might want to check.

Work around: You may create a dedicated page in Confluence with the "attachments URL's" and then restrict that page for needed users access.

I appreciate the quick response, but those links don't answer my question.

I'm trying to make it so that other folks can lock an attachment on the Confluence page to edit it, and then unlock that attachment when they're finished.

Here's what that function looks like in Confluence:

Labels lock edit.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2023

Confluence does not have that function, you will need to look to whatever app it is providing it.

Then I guess that function is provided by Atlassian Companion.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2023

It would be spectacularly useless if it were being done by the Atlassian Companion - it could only lock local files for edit, not the ones in Confluence.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- The response doesn't help me at all, but I appreciate it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2023

Yes, I know something is doing it, but I can't tell you what.  What apps have you installed on your Confluence that might be providing it?

Jim_Franklin April 13, 2023

The only app I have installed (locally) is Atlassian Companion. When I add the Attachments widget to a page, the only options I get are Preview, Properties, View, Edit, and Delete. Not Lock.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

Your local application can only work with local files.

To "lock" a file on a Confluence system, you would need to do that inside the service on the server - you need to tell the server that the file has been locked by someone, so that it can tell other people who are not using your local application that the file is locked.

Confluence doesn't have a native function for that, so the question is "what app have you installed in your Confluence service to do this?"

Scott Dudley _Cenote_ April 13, 2023

Hi @Jim_Franklin 

The "Lock to Edit" functionality shown in the screenshot you uploaded earlier is provided by our Cenote Lockpoint app (also as mentioned by Aron above). If you want to use locking on a different instance of Confluence that does not have Lockpoint, you would need to install the app there.

Alternatively, if the locking feature is visible in one part of the site but not in another, you would need to check to see if Lockpoint is enabled in that space (via the Space Settings->Cenote Lockpoint option).

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
Scott @ Cenote

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

Thanks, @Scott Dudley _Cenote_ and @Aron Gombas _Midori_ for identifying the app that provides this!

Like Aron Gombas _Midori_ likes this
Jim_Franklin April 24, 2023

@Scott Dudley _Cenote_ 

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your helpful advice! I'm sure Lockpoint is enabled in the Confluence space that I work in, but not everyone seems to be able to use the Lock feature. It does not appear under Settings. However, some people I work with who are above me in the org can use the Lock feature. 

I can use the Attachments widget, but it gives me all the functions except Lock and Delete.

Thanks,

Jim

Scott Dudley _Cenote_ April 25, 2023

Hi Jim,

In general, when Lockpoint's locking is enabled in a space, the features should be accessible to all user in the space and not just some users. (There are certain administrative features that are accessible only to a subset of users, but locking itself is available space-wide. There are also a few differences here for Lockpoint Cloud, but from the screenshot, you are using the server version so it should really be available to everyone.)

If Lockpoint is available on your instance but not actually enabled for the space you are using, you can certainly ask your system administrator to enable it, or ask others to confirm that they currently see the lock feature in the space.

If Lockpoint is in fact enabled in the space, but you still cannot see it, please open a support ticket and we will be happy to investigate further!

With best regards,
Scott @ Cenote

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events