How to upgrade to Confluence 5.9?

I have an very old Confluence - 3.1.2 which I want to upgrade to the latest (5.9 at the moment).

My data is in MS SQL Server DB with Cyrillic_General_CI_AS collation.

I tried to make export/import steps through 3.1.2 -> 3.5 -> 5.0.3 -> 5.9. But it doesn't work. I successfully imported my data into 5.0.3 instance but importing into 5.9 fails. Then I find some into that export/import are supposed to work only inside one major version. So it's an option.


Then I started to make series of upgrades:

  1. I setup a blank 3.1.2 and restored my backup from production version
  2. upgraded to 3.5: setup a blank 3.5 and point it to home from 3.1.2). Confluence successfully upgraded my 3.1.2 to 3.5 (home/db)
  3. upgrade to 5.0.3: setup a blank 5.0.3 and point it to home from 3.5. Confluence successfully upgraded my 3.5 to 5.0.3 (home/db)

Now I need to make the last step - upgrade to 5.9.

First of all I tried the similar method  - setup blank 5.9 and point it to the previous home. But it fails on start with the error: "checkConfigurationOnStartup Database collation is incorrect, it must be set to 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS'"

5.9 requires "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS" collation. This KB  says that I need to just chang collation. I changed:


I started 5.9 again.

Upgrading failed with the errors:

  1. failed during the SCHEMA_UPGRADE phase due to: Unable to complete user mapping creation.
    Caused by: org.springframework.dao.TransientDataAccessResourceException: StatementCallback; SQL [select distinct t.PERMUSERNAME from SPACEPERMISSIONS t left outer join user_mapping um1 on t.PERMUSERNAME = um1.user_key left outer join user_mapping um2 on t.PERMUSERNAME = um2.lower_username where um1.user_key is null and um2.user_key is null]; Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS" and "Cyrillic_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation.; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS" and "Cyrillic_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation.

So it's kind of a deadlock. I can't leave the collation as it require a new one, and if I changed to that new one it fails anyway sad.


But it's not the only error there're other ones:


2016-03-04 21:06:13,693 WARN [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.plugin.impl.AbstractPlugin] enable Because of this exception

com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.container.OsgiContainerException: Cannot start plugin: remotable.plugins.i18n


2016-03-04 21:06:36,564 ERROR [StorageToAoMigrationUpgradeTask-PageFinder] [sf.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] logExceptions Invalid column name 'HIBERNATEVERSION'.

2016-03-04 21:06:36,566 ERROR [StorageToAoMigrationUpgradeTask-PageFinder] [sf.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] logExceptions Invalid column name 'HIBERNATEVERSION'.

2016-03-04 21:06:36,568 ERROR [StorageToAoMigrationUpgradeTask-PageFinder] [plugins.tasklist.upgradetask.InterruptingUncaughtExceptionHandler] uncaughtException Uncaught exception in thread StorageToAoMigrationUpgradeTask-PageFinder. Interrupting all threads.

org.springframework.jdbc.BadSqlGrammarException: Hibernate operation: Could not execute query; bad SQL grammar []; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: Invalid column name 'HIBERNATEVERSION'.


Upgrade process never finishes, it hangs:

2016-03-04 21:06:53,418 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [confluence.upgrade.impl.DefaultUpgradeGate] waitForBooleanValue Waiting to find if plugin dependent upgrades are complete. Maximum wait time will be 1800 seconds.

Confluence isn't responding.

How upgrading to 5.9 is suppose to work?

1 answer

I did that the KB describes. But the import in described conditions fails with errors:

"The column XX cannot be processed because more than one code page (1251 and 1252) are specified for it".

This error happens for every varchar column  in every table.

I googled this error and found out that everybody recommend specifying setting "AlwaysUseDefaultCodePage=true" for "data flow component".

It takes some time to understand what "data flow component" is and where the setting can be specified as in Export/Import wizard they are absent. It turned out that there's SQL Server BI Studio which now distributed separately  from SQL Server 2014. I installed it and opened SSIS package create the Export/Import wizard. In BI Studio it's possible to see what a SSIS packages consist of. I found that setting - AlwaysUseDefaultCodePage and specified it for every "data flow" tasks. Run. Success. Wow.


All after migration non English text look like:


DB collation is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS so do for all columns. All my text was in 1251 now in 1252. And it's broken.

I just can't understand how can it work.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Dec 18, 2018 in Confluence Cloud

Happy holidays from our team to yours!

Hi Community!  2018 was filled with changes for our team, both big and small, and we've taken a lot of time to both celebrate our wins and recognize areas of improvement. One thing that we're a...

462 views 3 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you