Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off annoying broken MS Teams confluence link previews

mhaedrich September 13, 2021

We just migrated from on-premise to atlassian cloud...

Since then, when our entire team is posting atlassian-confluence-urls we got a super annoying URL preview always saying:

"Log in with Atlassian account
Log in to Jira, Confluence and all other Atlassian Cloud products here. Not an Atlassian user? Sign up for free."

I mean under every single link we post... and we post a lot of these!

This is super annoying. How do we turn this off?

I know i can turn off the "create-a-preview-feature" in Teams entirely ... that is not what I want.

4 answers

3 votes
Mohammed Munzir August 24, 2022

Hi @mhaedrich

I was facing the same problem. Looked up community and all I found was it can be done by Admin.

So I tried navigating the Teams app and found that this worked:

• Go to Manage Account.
  • Click on Privacy.
  • Turn off Optional connected experiences.

Worked for me. Cheers!

yana.rishkovoy@envestnet.com December 11, 2023

Thank you! That worked for me as well!

1 vote
Debbie Sackman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2024

I want to do the opposite. I chose to sign into my Atlassian account when prompted by Teams, now every time I add a URL, it adds a preview card, which I don't want. How do I "sign out" of Confluence from Teams to get rid of these preview cards?

Screenshot 2024-02-14 133717.png

0 votes
Matija Erceg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 4, 2024

This is still rather broken and annoying as of March 2024

0 votes
Tony Knopp
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2021

Hey @mhaedrich !

First, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a user level option in Teams to turn off link previews.(https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/32507497-url-preview-options). 

As you mentioned, an admin can turn off link previews for everyone but you don't want to do that.

So, outside of the admin turning them off completely, I don't think you have any options to prevent URL previews for any URL (Atlassian or otherwise) from attempting to show the preview while composing inside of Teams.

However, there is a Confluence Cloud for Teams app that we built that you could install in your Teams organization that would allow for the link previews to have more useful information after signing into your Atlassian account.

If you've already done that and are still seeing the link preview text you provided, the previous server based Confluence for Teams app may be overriding the unfurling. I suggest uninstalling the previous version of the Confluence Server Teams app (if its installed in your teams instance), logging out and back in and seeing if that shows the more useful previews.

Finally, if you're interested and get the app working and the more useful link previews to appear, I'd love to hear any feedback on what type of useful information you'd like to see in the previews.

Dirk Reul July 11, 2023

Hi Tony, I know this is an old post but I still get the link previews, even after I removed the app from the Team, added it again, logged in using my account and logged out of Teams and back in. The message remains ""Log in with Atlassian account
Log in to Jira, Confluence and all other Atlassian Cloud products here. Not an Atlassian user? Sign up for free." 

Do you have another idea how I can resolve that? 

Best,

Dirk

Emilio Galasso August 18, 2023

It seems that you have to manually add Confluence to EVERY channel or chat where you want link previews to work.

I just started a chat with some of my developers, posted a confluence link, and saw the dreaded "Log in with Attlassian account" preview.

I added Confluence to our chat (using the + beside Chat | Files in the chat header).  The Confluence App responds with the attached image indicating "Link previews" are now available.

I re-posted the link in the same chat and I now see the proper link preview.

There has to be a better solution though.  It says to add Confluence across teams to enable Link Previews for the entire team but I can't see what additional steps we need to accomplish this.

confluence01.jpg

Dirk Reul September 7, 2023

Thank you for the feedback, this is not well implemented or documented. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events