Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer ownership of a Page

raza.perez October 4, 2022

Our Confluence licensing does not have Admin Key, so admins cannot adjust Page Permissions, only the original owner. What can we do if we need to adjust a Page and either the owner is not in the organisation anymore or simply the owner is not known and therefore we can't reach out to him/her?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

Hi @raza.perez,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

As a space admin you can go in and remove page restrictions, just go to Space settings > Manage pages > Hidden, and from here you can delete page restrictions, just click on the pad lock. This will take you to Page information and you can delete the restrictions under Page Permissions. 

Hi @Mikael Sandberg 
Thank you for the quick response.

As an admin, I can't get there.

When I try it says "you've stumbled on restricted content" Only some people can view this ... request access from the author. 

An alternative is to upgrade for admin key, but that's something we would prefer to avoid.

Is there anything we can do within the possibilities of the standard license as an admin user?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

You do not have to go to the page to do it, go to the space that the page is in, and from here you can remove the restrictions as I outlined above.

raza.perez October 5, 2022

Hi @Mikael Sandberg 

Under Hidden, I don't see any page - although there are many in this Space- so I cannot delete the restrictions under Page permission.

The pages shown here have no connection to other Confluence pages because they don't have a parent page and have no incoming links.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2022

Sorry, my bad. It should be under Space settings > Restricted.

Thank you @Mikael Sandberg . All good now. 
One last question. Just to confirm that if I remove all restrictions I can later add new users and restrictions again, is that correct?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2022

That is correct!

Awesome. Thanks!

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

@raza.perez Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

What exactly do you mean/intend by Page Owner? Confluence Cloud pages do not have owners, they have authors and contributors. Any user with edit permissions on a page can update it. You can view users with permissions by clicking on the lock icon on the top right of the page.

Are you saying in this instance the page is locked for editing for all but one user?

Hi @Andy Gladstone 
Thank you for your quick response. The issue I guess is that our Confluence license is standard - we don't have admin key- and it seems that for some pages no one other than the author can edit the page. And if the author is sick ...
Any thing we could do without admin key?

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

@raza.perez I apologize, I will be offline for the next 36 hours. Continue to work with @Mikael Sandberg - he is a seasoned Atlassian Admin and should be able to guide you to a resolution.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Thanks @Andy Gladstone 

0 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 26, 2023

Now that Confluence Cloud actually has a page owner feature, it also turns out that it has limitations:

• only one user can be the owner
  • can't change owners in bulk
  • a new owner can't take ownership independently without bothering the current one or an admin
  • can't directly target owners with automatic notifications
  • can't use owners in CQL search

For those who want to take page ownership to a higher level, Better Content Archiving implements a more advanced Confluence page owner concept that addresses all the above points + a macro that allows you to nicely display pages owned by you or anyone else within a page, together with page status details:

20230924-confluence-page-owner-report-macro.png

Read more about how to use the Confluence page owner feature >>

(Please note that Better Content Archiving is a free/paid app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events