How to text-wrap within a table

Phoebe Chan July 11, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Tables

How do I wrap text in a table? It's currently so wide that I'd have to keep scrolling to the right to view all the content. 

7 answers

1 vote
Partha Choudhury July 24, 2017

Click anywhere inside a cell and you get an option to select table columns as "Responsive" or "Fixed Width" (write under the dropdown that lets you pick headings, or paragraph or preformatted etc.). If you choose fixed width and adjust the width, then as you type, the text will automatically wrap.

Maya Pedersen July 31, 2017

Just to elaborate on Parthas answer, you find the menu not IN the table but at the top in the menu (also called Table Tools).
A little screenshot to assist:

responsiveOrFixedWidth.jpg

abhijeetbh September 5, 2017

Works but it's less intuitive.

M_Willett July 22, 2020

And also, not responsive anymore. Simple CSS word-break property can properly fix this.

In responsive mode links do not wrap - only on spaces or hyphens which not all links have, you cannot drag the column any smaller than the longest link. This is very bad design.

Like # people like this
G_ Sax January 7, 2021

I just discovered this today during continued testing of our migration to Confluence Cloud. Finding many, many bugs like this. I thought we solved these kinds of problems more than a decade ago.

Like # people like this
0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2018

Ctrl-enter does not work for me in v5.9.6. When writing text in the header cell, I can do shift-enter to forced a line break in the header text.

0 votes
Stephen Kairys July 31, 2017

So in 6.1, I change the option from RESPONSIVE to FIXED WIDTH? Thanks.

M_Willett July 22, 2020

Then the table is no longer responsive. This is a workaround not a solution.

Like Rae Young likes this
0 votes
Sandy Johnson July 26, 2017

I'm using 5.8.13 server version and I can't get that option either

Maya Pedersen July 31, 2017

Sandy, I don't think the option is there in 5.8. I checked the documentation of 6.1 which has it (in 'Edit your table'):
https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf61/tables-877187622.html

but the 5.8 doesn't seem to have the same option:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf58/tables-771892006.html

0 votes
Stephen Kairys July 26, 2017

NOTE: This post is NOT an answer, but I can't figure out how to convert to comment. Mods?

Hi and thanks for posting. I tried this...went into EDIT mode, clicked within a cell, but nothing happened. I'm at Confluence 6.1.1 Server. What am I missing?

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2016

wrap-text implies that the column needs to be fixed width.  I don't know how to do that sad

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2016

In the text ctrl-enter to put a line break in the text while editing.  I don't think you can wrap the content if it's doing the scrolly thing when viewed.

Stephen Kairys February 28, 2017

Has anyone ever seen a case where the word-wrap looks fine in EDIT mode but not OK in VIEW mode. In other words:

• I have a lot of text to type into a cell
  •  I used <ENTER> (not <CTRL-ENTER> to manually insert line breaks.
  • When save and look at the table, I'll see a line break in the middle of a line that did NOT have a break in EDIT mode.

Running Confluence Server 5.9.7.

Thanks!

Like Rae Young likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events