How to tag muliple wiki pages (I might add with attachments) to a single release?

Kamesh Kamesh May 15, 2012

For example, if I am working on a design and it spans across multiple wiki pages. Each page may contain some relavant documents attached to them. I want to be able to make a release of the design for peer review. What is the best way to create a version tag (like CVS or Subversion version control systems) to tag all the current version of the pages, so that, that tag can be reverted if needed.

If I want to move away from document centric approach to wiki style, I should be able to maintain the versions of individual pages (which COnfluence seems to do a pretty good job) and collective pages.

I don't want to throw away my old Visio diagrams yet!

Greatly appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,

--Kamesh

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2012

Hi Kamesh,

One approach that may be worth looking at is how Atlassian version their documentation, which is basicaly a space for each product version. Sarah Maddox has a detailed write up on her blog at http://ffeathers.wordpress.com/2007/11/17/wiki-docs-release-management/

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it might be worth some investigation?

Andrew.

Kamesh Kamesh May 15, 2012

Thank you Andrew for a qiock response. I went through the interesting blog post. I think it would be very challenging and difficult to manage Confluence in the long run. I can see challenges with creating a space for each release cycle especially if we want to adopt to agile development where release cycles depend heavily on the sprint cycles. Even if we stick with "copy space", I guess, cross space comparison could be very challenging!!

Do you see my challenge any differently?

Thank you!

--Kamesh

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2012

@kchalla

I would say, you should fork out the documentation per major release, not per sprint, and for per sprint changes, you could simply use a {recently-updated} to send out for review rather than taking the pain to label and unlabel everytime.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2012

Hi Kamesh,

I'd agree with @Renjith and only fork the documentation with each major release - which is what Atlassian do, they only fork it for public releases, not internal sprints.

One way to track per sprint might be to create a child page for each sprint, label the child with the sprint version and use content by label to pull together an index of pages for a sprint?

Andrew.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events