How to see how many editing licenses are used?

Jennie Sheridan December 20, 2017

Does anyone know if there an easy way to view how many editing licenses are in use in my installation? Aside from visiting the spaces and counting up all the groups and users who may have this capability? 

Also does an editing license qualify as anyone with the ability to add to a page?

2 answers

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Hi Jennie,

Please see: How to get a list of active users counting towards the Confluence license

Confluence's license count is based on Global Permissions. Users will count towards the license in the following ways:

• If the user is a member of a group that has global permissions to use Confluence
  • If the user is individually granted global permissions to use Confluence

...Within the UI, you can get a listing of groups and users that are assigned Global Permissions by navigating to Confluence Admin > Global Permissions. You can find the groups via Confluence Admin > Groups to reveal their members.

Please let us know any follow up questions.

Thanks,

Ann

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

This is not how Confluence works.

A licence gives a user the right to log in to Confluence.  What they can do when they are logged in is up to the administrators and space owners and varies by space if you want.  My Adaptavist account on our internal Confluence consumes a licence slot.  I can log into our Confluence and edit content in most spaces.  But I can't edit all of them.  And there are some I can't even see.

You can allow Confluence to publish to "anonymous" as well.  This lets people see content (and edit it if you're willing to risk that, although I'd personally like to see that removed completely), without logging in, so they don't need to use a licence.  This is great for the cases where, for example, you have some software you've written, you throw up the documentation in Confluence, you have 25 developers and authors writing it, but would like to let anyone in the world read it..

So, "editing licences" is pretty much nonsense.  But you can just go to Admin -> Licence to see how many users have "log in" rights.

Jennie Sheridan December 21, 2017

Thank you both for the insight. So if I have a license for  Confluence server 100 user maintenance license, this has nothing to do with Global Confluence users?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2017

Every user with "can use" permission on the Global Permissions page will consume a user license out of your pool of 100.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2017

It depends on what you mean by "global confluence users".  If you mean "everyone who might visit our confluence without logging in", then you're right, the 100 licences don't matter to them. 

The 100 limit applies to people who can log in.  Whether they only read stuff, or have edit, or admin, or blog or attachment or comment or or or... is up to the permissions in the system and spaces.   They count towards your licence limit because they can log in.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2017

Ahh, sorry, Ann beat me with a faster and neater answer!

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
December 21, 2017

I think it was useful that you explained about how you have to log in to take up a license. :)

Jennie Sheridan December 24, 2017

Very helpful. Thank you both!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events