How to see all comments to a Confluence page?

Maria Bolshakova February 16, 2015

I can see only the list of resolved ones. But it'll be nice to see all comments list because it can be a long article on a page and many comments. 

19 answers

19 votes
G_ Richard Bellamy October 29, 2015

Having to traverse all the highlights to find replies to my comments can be very time consuming on a well-discussed document.

9 votes
nagyalex February 14, 2016

+1. Inline comments are not worth using if we can't force their displaying of all inline comments  via menu or parameter. 

Hovering over a selection to see inline comment s not an option.

6 votes
Chris Betti August 10, 2016

Yes, this is the #1 reason we switched back to google docs to collaborate on design documents. Inline comments are essential, but were consistently getting lost / abandoned by our engineers.

We would overlook any of the other drawbacks and switch to Confluence for design docs with this one change.

Michael Davé April 9, 2021

Agree.  Confluence is atrocious.  If it can't automatically show comments like gdocs, what use is the feature?  Atlassian tools are uniformly horrible.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Kevin Kell July 30, 2015

I am also interested in having a comments tracker, one that even shows the resolved comments in a table

One should not be needed!  Gdocs does it right and intuitively.

Like Leonhardt Wille likes this
3 votes
Kameran Kashani May 14, 2016

+1. Without being able to list all in-line comments on a page, it's a real challenge for authors to manage and resolve more than just a few comments. Google Docs makes in-line commenting much easier in this regard. 

2 votes
Anne Carpenter January 4, 2016

To clarify, as requested, I'm attaching two screenshots showing that if you click on a page none of the inline comments is visible. If you click on one it becomes visible (but the other is hidden), and clicking on the second one makes the first go away.

2 votes
Leo Catallo December 28, 2015

I second that. We find Inline comments invaluable for collective document reviews, but having to click to sea each new one makes it challenging to find something specific.

2 votes
Nick Mariette November 26, 2015

+1 on this request for a page to view all inline comments. Inline comments can be very hard to find, and there's no way I can alert people to the existence of them unless I go into each and every comment separately and grab the link (from the timestamp on the comment).

1 vote
Tim Fry February 12, 2021

There's no way we should be forced to buy a plugin to get this basic feature

1 vote
Robert Allen July 16, 2020

For those who don't need to see them all in one place: once you've opened any inline comment by clicking on the commented text, the upper left of the header of that comment has  navigation arrows for next/previous. So you can scroll through all the inline comments using that.

1 vote
Michael Rans January 23, 2019

Absurd that a paid plugin is required to see all unresolved comments.

Agree with you.  Gdocs gets it right and Atlassian continues to make it impossible to use their tools.

1 vote
Drew Roselli July 30, 2018

+1. It is very hard to find inline comments in a large document.

1 vote
Chris Betti August 10, 2016

I made you a bookmarklet to iterate over inline page comments. It has a few flaws (e.g. it may stop multiple times on one comment if that comment contains formatted text), but I find it useful. Bookmarklet here:

http://webapps.stackexchange.com/a/97431/10656

1 vote
Jason Cain [Equip] February 4, 2016

+1 on this as well, being able to see all comments at once would really reduce the extra effort needed to click each one as current functionality dictates.

1 vote
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2015

Hi Maria,

As far as I know, Confluence pages show all comments. E.G. This Knowledge page from Atlassian documentation contains a lot of comments and all of them are shown.

Would be possible to clarify the behavior you are seeing?

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Maria Bolshakova February 20, 2015

Rodrigo, thank you for your answer. Look what I mean: select some plain text and wait till the small menu appear, select Inline comment. You can leave many inline comments on a page. Like comments in MS Word. But you can see the list of these comments in one place.

Sebastian Dietrich June 5, 2015

You probably ment "you cannot see the list of these comments in one place"

Leo Catallo December 28, 2015

Rodrigo, we need inline comments - the one that allow people to add comments to a specific place in the text. Check out how Google docs handles multiple comments on a page in review mode. Need something like this.

0 votes
Tim Fry March 26, 2021

So Atlassian, are you paying attention to your users here at all? We love plugins and are happy to pay for a few big important ones, but are not going to want to pay for ones that fill the gaps that the base product should provide. This is far worse when you work for a big org, and it can take forever to get approval for plugins, and then to get them installed.

Don't nickel and dime your customers and expect them to be happy

Tim Fry March 26, 2021

And please stop sending me happy notes on how I've done a great job earning an Atlassian Answerer badge, when I'm complaining about the lack of support I'm getting :-( 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Andrii Tkachenko _BeastieHut_ June 19, 2019

Hello!

You can refer to https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1219786 plugin to form the table of comments (simple comments or inline (resolved/unresolved)) from current or other pages and descendants).

Thank you

0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2017

There is a plugin for Confluence Cloud that resolves this issue:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/see-all-unresolved-comments/cloud/overview

and it should be released for Server very soon as well ;)

Rahav September 3, 2018

Why would anyone want to pay for such basic functionality? What's next for Confluence you are going to have your partners develop a plugin for capitalizing the first letter of each sentence? It's only going to cost 1$ per month for up to 10 users, great deal.

Like # people like this
sushant.bista@firstwavecloud.com October 22, 2019

Like Iskander likes this
0 votes
Sebastian Dietrich June 5, 2015

Maria is looking for _inline_ comments and not for the comments in the bottom of a page. This would be really helpful since if you write an inline comment on small things (e.g. a number) its highlighting will be more or less invisible.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events