How to restrict anonymous comments for a page?

Jochen Häberle June 24, 2015

I have setup a documentation section with anonymous access. Users are allowed to comment for the space, but I want to restrict that for some pages. On the restrict page, I cannot figure out how to adress the anonymous user.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2015

You can't - if you're allowing anonymous access, there's nothing for the page restrictions to "know" to restrict.  Restrictions rely on knowing who the user is.  You shouldn't use anonymous for anything other than read (especially if it's on the public internet)

Jochen Häberle June 26, 2015

I don't agree. Anonymous is handled like any other group in the overall space config. I don't see a reason why this should not work the same on a page level. Just give me "anonymous" to set my page level restrictions. As well I don't see why the anonymous user should not be allowed to comment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2015

Ah, no, it really isn't handled like a group at all. The interface is similar, but that's the only thing in common. Anonymous is the absence of groups or even any data that identifies the user in any way. That's precisely why I'd tell you never to enable anonymous writes - you have no way of knowing who is making changes. There are a handful of cases, but in most fields of use, you REALLY don't want that. To the point where you can be arrested and jailed for deliberately not tracking changes. And certainly never on the internet - you WILL be spammed to the point of uselessness.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events