How to restore from database dump?

The documentation on how to restore from backup links to a page which makes no mention of restoring from backup.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/production-backup-strategy-38797389.html#ProductionBackupStrategy-HowdoIrestore?

I am running tests with PostgreSQL on Confluence 6.5, I have several questions.

1. Does the database dump contain attachments?

2. What are the steps to restore a backup created with "pg_dump DB_NAME > DB_DUMP_FILE"? Does Confluence need to be stopped?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Hello Gerald,

As of Confluence 5.5 your database will not contain your attachments.

When backing up your Confluence Site for restore, we recommend creating an XML backup and also backing up your home folder.

If you only have the database backup, it is still possible to restore, but it will not likely contain any attachments unless you had Confluence prior to 5.5 and specifically requested that your attachments be stored in your database.

For more details see Restoring data from other backups.

Lastly, when making changes to a database, I do recommend that you completely stop Confluence to avoid any issues.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

478 views 19 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you