How to restore deleted Confluence space without a backup?

Elaine Heart October 23, 2021

We tried to delete a confluence space, but when my friend pressed "delete space" they were promptly sent to a different space. Then they clicked "delete this space" at confirmation page and only then I noticed, that we're in a different space. Another name, another icon. Somehow, delete button sent from a freshly created space into an old one with a bunch of work data.

While not having a backup is a tragic oversight, this situation became possible due to a bug, as they were pressing "delete space", while being in a different one. 

I don't know how to prove or demonstrate this bug, as I couldn't reproduce it on this account and we didn't record our video conference. Please, find it and fix it for other people in the future.

If you know, how to restore a space without backup, please tell.

P.S. Maybe make mandatory XML backups on deletion, or store them for a while longer before actual deletion happens.

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

5 votes
Answer accepted
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2021

Hi @Elaine Heart ,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I can understand your feeling and your situation as you have faced this.

Unfortunately, deleting a space is permanent so it's always suggested to archive a space instead of deletion - https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/delete-a-space/

Now, I think that XML backup - https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/export-content-to-word-pdf-html-and-xml/ is not mandated  because this might again increase the overall complexity and in case any deletion backup would be mandatory if the user is not also looking for that.

1 vote
Christine Corona March 23, 2022

I also had this scenario just happen to me. I know absolutely what space I was intending to delete and upon hitting delete it switched over to the previous space I was viewing (which was new and had tons of work already put into it) and deleted the new space! Clearly there is a bug occurring. I've reached out to Atlassian support just praying they can somehow retrieve it. :( 

So apologies - no solution, but wanted to acknowledge there appears to be a bug

1 vote
Анна Красавина February 18, 2022

Hi!

It happened the same to me - i deleted a space with a bunch of work data. And i definitely tried to delete other space. When i clicked on confirm button in correct space, i was redirected to incorrect space (i saw it in address bar) and then it was deleted.

Can you explore it, please?

1 vote
Sol Salas February 9, 2022

Hi! It happened the same to me today. Is there any way to contact Support for this kind of issued? As it seems to be a bug...?

Thank you!

1 vote
Michael Currie November 23, 2021

I believe I just faced this situation today.  I was attempting to delete one space, but it deleted the space that I was looking at prior once I confirmed.  We are attempting to recover a backup now, but this is something Atlassian needs to explore.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events