How to remove unwanted line spacing in the editor.

alex woodroffe August 30, 2020

The editor is adding unwanted space between lines, I can't get rid of it. I have tried clearing the formatting, removing copying and pasting via vi to remove all formatting and no joy.

The option to edit markup, has gone.

It appears to be a forced paragraph, per line. 🤦‍♂️

To Atlassian this is almost a deal breaker - being able to directly edit content in a simple way, is why wiki's and this product were selected in the first place, as formatting word and other word processor type documents are a real pain.

Here is an example, I don't want the paragraph spaces. On the irritation scale it's off the charts.

Screenshot 2020-08-30 at 10.00.36.png

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
alex woodroffe August 30, 2020

It is answered here : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Control-of-Line-Spacing/qaq-p/525454

Making this easier to find would be worth while.

Deleted user March 28, 2021

I am struggling with checkboxes its so annoying!

Nuno Godinho April 14, 2022

I agree! Either allow the user to edit the Marrkup or giving an explicit option to format the paragraph.

And yes, CTRL+ENTER is common but on very specific and well known situations. If not for this post I would never guess!

david.mockridge November 7, 2023

This workaround means you have to remember to use CTRL+ENTER every single time you hit enter.

It also does not apply to copy-pasting some lines - they all get double-spaced, so you have to go back to every line (could be 50 or a 100 lines), and do a delete then CTRL+Enter for every single line.

I don't think this is a fix, at best it is a clunky workaround.

Vote on the link below to get this fixed: (Atlassian bugs users want to be fixed)

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75312

You can upvote this issue at the above link.

1 vote
John Curran October 1, 2021

I standardized spacing between blocks of text by clicking on the blank line and changing the line to "Preformatted" text (from "Paragraph" for example). That cleaned up my confluence page. Was not easy to figure out by any means. Got lucky with trial and error.

Cato Moe July 7, 2023

Worked for me. 

Marked the text with some un-understandable line spaces and changed to "Preformatted". The line spaces was now possible to delete. After rearranging the text i turned it back to "Paragraph".

0 votes
Vlad Cenan November 7, 2023

This can be done by selecting "Page Layout" in the Edit mode and then you can simply remove the spaces with backspace.

0 votes
david.mockridge August 2, 2023

In July 2023 this is still an issue. You  can Vote to get it fixed here in the Jira list of possible future features:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75312

The control + Enter workaround has an effect but still does not narrow the line spacing much. 
It is also clunky, needs to be done on every line.
You can upvote this issue at the above link to get it on the radar of the Atlassian Dev Team.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events